T handle on the trunk lid

A few years ago there were a number of well circulated stories about car-jackings an people locked in trunks.

A number of laws were passed in typical knee-jerk reaction about car-jackings. (Hey,I personally feel is just make car-jacking one of those crimes that the perp is fair game and ANYBODY has carteblanche to waste his ass with impunity)

One popular story in the news at the time (I saw it on CNN) involved a woman who smashed a taillight assembly out and stuck her arm out. She was rescued and I remember the emotional plea on the news that she couldn't "get out of the trunk". I wouldn't be surprised if the federal law that now mandates a trunk release is a direct result of that. Also, notice that the release glows in the dark?

Reply to
Mike Y

What happened was that several years back a couple of small kids were playing hide and seek or some such and one of them hide in a car trunk and could not get out and was not found for several days, dead unfortunately. I don't recall if all the car makers added the inside release voluntarily or whether it was mandated but that's why it's there.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher