taures starter problem???

hi.i have a 97 taures (3.0) and at first the battery just appeared to be bad,after putting new one in and turning the key to start,only a audible click could be heard,not a click like a weak battery,just one single click
and no turn over of the engine,upon keeping the key engaged a few seconds after the click the positive and negative cables were extremely hot and smoke started to come from the starter,my guess is a shorted started?? any opinions???
robert -wanda fox wrote:

Yep.. very most likely new starter required.
you pay..DEAL with it!