Taurus 2002 SEL wagon and acetone in gasoline ... 14% increase

Page 1 of 2
Last week I just became aware of the "buzz" on the net about 1~3 oz. of acetone per 10 gal. of gas.
Because my Google searches did not show any documented damage from this
experiment (just lots of fears ... 2 mechanic friends I asked said they wouldn't try it) ... anyway I decided to try it in my 2002 Taurus SEL wagon.
It didn't make intuitive sense to me that a 1/640 or 1/1280 dilution of acetone would present much in the way of attacking the rubber and plastic components ... I had not come across any posting by anybody saying that had happened to them ...
Anyway, I have a running fuel log for the past few months for comparison purposes. Based on my highway trip (approx. 400 km.) last weekend, running on approx. 1 1/4 oz. acetone per 10 gal. gasoline, upon topping up my fuel tank when I got back, I saw that I had achieved approx. 14% increase over other typical highways trips I've documented.
Just wondered what others here think of my findings ... and the whole idea in general ...
-RS-
Add pictures here
βœ–

A ten percent increase is huge, and you got fourteen? That would require so much more power to be generated by the same amount of fuel it is highly improbable at the least. I don't know where this started but I don't believe the increases that are claimed.
Add pictures here
βœ–

can get 15% better or worse mileage just by changing fuel brands (23 vs. 27MPG on a 600 mile trip. The 23MPG was from running 83 octane Enmark gas, and the 27 was from 83 octane Amoco.). I would think a 6-12 month log with varying trip distances, weather conditions, brand and grade of gas, etc., would make for a better judge of whether or not the stuff works as claimed.
SC Tom
Add pictures here
βœ–
Re: Taurus 2002 SEL wagon and acetone in gasoline ... 14% increase Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Fri, Oct 14, 2005, 6:15am From: snipped-for-privacy@Tom.com (SC Tom)
I don't think one trip with the acetone is enough to base any stats on. I can get 15% better or worse mileage just by changing fuel brands (23 vs. 27MPG on a 600 mile trip. The 23MPG was from running 83 octane Enmark gas, and the 27 was from 83 octane Amoco.)<<<<<<<<<<<<
83 octane? or 87 octane?
Eric
Add pictures here
βœ–
(SC Tom)
I don't think one trip with the acetone is enough to base any stats on. I can get 15% better or worse mileage just by changing fuel brands (23 vs. 27MPG on a 600 mile trip. The 23MPG was from running 83 octane Enmark gas, and the 27 was from 83 octane Amoco.)<<<<<<<<<<<<
83 octane? or 87 octane?
Eric
83 as stated.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Re: Taurus 2002 SEL wagon and acetone in gasoline ... 14% increase Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Fri, Oct 14, 2005, 4:28pm From: snipped-for-privacy@Tom.com (SC Tom)
(SC Tom) I don't think one trip with the acetone is enough to base any stats on. I can get 15% better or worse mileage just by changing fuel brands (23 vs. 27MPG on a 600 mile trip. The 23MPG was from running 83 octane Enmark gas, and the 27 was from 83 octane Amoco.)<<<<<<<<<<<< 83 octane? or 87 octane? Eric
83 as stated.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Where is 83 octane sold?
Add pictures here
βœ–
(SC Tom) I don't think one trip with the acetone is enough to base any stats on. I can get 15% better or worse mileage just by changing fuel brands (23 vs. 27MPG on a 600 mile trip. The 23MPG was from running 83 octane Enmark gas, and the 27 was from 83 octane Amoco.)<<<<<<<<<<<< 83 octane? or 87 octane? Eric
83 as stated.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Where is 83 octane sold?
Well, DUH, 87 is what I meant. My bust. I don't know where I got the "83" from.
SC Tom
Add pictures here
βœ–
If you did the exhaustive research as claimed, you know the results of one trip mean nothing.
And that is stated by the proponent, himself.
In fact, I would suspect the direction your car was pointed while topping off made most of the difference.
After at least ten tanks, then let us know.

Add pictures here
βœ–
I agree that one tank does not make any statistical argument. I posted because I was kind of excited by the first results. I will keep an eye on my milage over the next few fillings ... well i do that anyway ... I will let the group know how it's coming along ...
If anyone wants to see my Excel spreadsheet so far, just email me ... (remove "X" s)
-RS-

Add pictures here
βœ–

feeling is this: It didn't do anything, bad or good. Just for the heck of it I put 4 oz. in 15 gallons this tank. If there is no real noticeable improvement this tank I feel it isn't worth messing with...Just for the record, I bet you would get the same results by putting 3 oz of urine in your tankfull. Havent tried that yet...maybe next time I'm drinkin.. :)
Add pictures here
βœ–
You started off with the equiv. of 2 oz. per 10 gallons. If you google the topic you will find some graphs showing how fuel usage actually can increase with overdosing. Why not start of with the equiv. of 1 oz. per 10 gallons ... which is the low end of the suggestted range (1~3 oz. per 10 gallons.)
-RS-

Add pictures here
βœ–

βœ–
Using an accurately instrumented test engine will yield useful data faster than on-road car testing.
I would consider getting a Geo Metro engine cheap from a hit or rusted Metro and hooking it up to a bus alternator. This would be good for a household genset as well as a test fixture. You must accurately instrument it with a reliable and calibratable fuel flow metering system as well as electrical instrumentation. I would make up a carburetor manifold as well as the original FI air system and injectors I would drive with a MegaSquirt controller.
It would be a superb engineering thesis project for some student.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You ARE kidding right?
Add pictures here
βœ–

4 oz in tank burned up.....Got 15.4 that time. got 15 without acetone, and got 14.5 with 3 oz in 15 gallons. I put 1 1/2 oz in this tank 15 gal again)....we shall see what happens........
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com says...

So far, looks like nothing but random variations. Just minor variations in the exact fill level can account for this.
βœ–
Andrew Rossmann wrote:

...and it's hard to fill it to the same level every time w/o overfilling it. It would have to be topped off right up to a standing pool at the filler neck lip.
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–
says...

checked for codes and found he was lean on bank 1 and 2. As soon as I told him he had a fuel problem he informed me that he had recently filled his truck with E85. When I told him his truck wasn't designed to run on E85 and that it was most likely the cause of his SES light coming on he said "damn that's too bad because my gas mileage doubled". I explained to him that mileage generally goes down when using E85 but he stuck by his story and insisted that his mileage doubled. I know it isn't possible, but he is absolutely convinced it is. Bob
Add pictures here
βœ–

Could the higher MPG be due to the oxygen sensor being fooled and running it very lean? I assume there would be a noticeable loss in power, and possible engine damage over time.
βœ–
says...

I'm afraid you missed the point of my story. He's convinced that E85 has doubled his milage even though I know for a fact it didn't. Much like some knuckleheads are convinced that acetone has some magical qualty that increases their milage by 14% I guess it's the same kind of wishful thinking that makes people line up to buy lottery tickets whenever the pot gets big. Bob
Add pictures here
βœ–