Taurus 2002 stabilizer arm question

Greetings,
I'm told that my 2002 Taurus is in need of stabilizer arms, around 50,000 miles on it now. I looked and found them to be, looks like, glass filled nylon, or, some sort of space age plastic or polymer. My
question is this, they do seem to move freely by hand from side to side. Is this enough to make them worn enough to need replacement. I checked the parts house, they want around 30 bucks each for the replacements. Should I get these from the dealer? I remember when a set of stabilizers would set me back less than 15 bucks, course, that was when gas was 37 cents a gallon... Guess that I'm showing my age now.
TIA
Markus
I'm guessing that you have a knocking sound over bumps?

If you think that's bad... check out the prices of the old style, bush and rod, links. ex rear for a 95 Taurus. Think how much they cost to make.. the markup "back then" was even horrific.
That really pi$$es me off, as the markup on those has to be AT LEAST twice that of the composites.
Yep,
Noisy and 'soft control' I'll pick up a pair and replace them myself, dealer wants $260.00...
thanks again,
Markus
On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:52:10 GMT, Backyard Mechanic

I had one on the 2001 Taurus wagon making noise w/o visible movement. 35$ later (moog aftermarket are metal) noise and wandering gone.
--
Dave MacLeod
remove the "1" to reply

It really doesn't look too bad, take off the tire and remove a couple of bolts, looks like 11/16 or 3/4 of course they probably are 19mm nuts, just took a quick look the other day. I haven't taken it apart yet, with any front end work, be careful. I think it would be easier to access with the tire off, I'd get out the jacks and blocks for support. Looks like a 1 beer project LOL.
take care,
Markus

2001 wagon was 18MM deep. took about 25 minutes including tire removal. also used small adjustable to hold back side of bushing.
--
Dave MacLeod
remove the "1" to reply