Taurus 97 Keps Misfiring

Hi Folks,
My 97 Ford Taurus GL 3.0 SHO, 130K Mileage has turned into a nighmare for the last 4 months.
It shows the following symptoms, I call it the "sad repeating story", I
will refer to this story quite often below.
It starts well, drives well for about 5-8 miles and then starts to show loss of power, meaning that the car slows down and when I push the acelerator , the rpm does not go up and the car sort of jerks and barely goes ahead. I stop the car , turn it off and turn it back up and it drives well for another couple of miles and repeats the process.
If I allow it to cool down it drives well for a bit starts the cycle all over again.
--
When all of this started in August and I took it to my &#@$% mechanic
who said that the Tranny is dying and asked me to fix it now than be
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I would be looking for a vacuum leak somewhere. Possibly intake manifold. Or, you have some intermittent wiring issues somewhere.
Pull the intakes, inspect, clean and replace the gaskets. CHeck all vacuum hoses for chaffing or cracking and replace as needed.
Was there a compression check done?
Bob
-
> Pull the intakes, inspect, clean and replace the gaskets. CHeck all

Thanks Guys for your reply. Can you please be more specific about what you mean by intakes ?

yes and my mechanic said that the compression was excellent, that was probably one of the first things he did.
While he changed the Fuel Pump he said that he inspected the Fuel filter and did not change it as it was relatively new.
Thanks

Have you replaced the fuel filter?
mike
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Did any of the mechanics that could not fix your problem look at the 1997 shop manual for misfire diagnostics?

Hi,
I guess the mechanic at the Dealership does have that knowledge, however my own mechanic did not look at any manual.