Taurus A/C

I am having my 98K mile 1996 Taurus's AC looked over. The car needs tranny work and the AC has a leak. 2 - 3 lbs refrigerant/year. So far the mechanic
has not found the leak. Could be the evaporator, under the dash. If so it is a car killer.
Has anyone had AC issues with Fords or Taurus/Windstars specifically ?
Howard Cohen wrote:

Use a UV dye next time. On the G3 Taurus/Sable the leak is usualy a line along the right side rail in the engine compartment if it is that slow - it's inside a foam insulation jacket.
Rob
trainfan1 wrote:

don't, but I do a lot of AC work and have never seen one leak.. You'll probably find that the leak is in the suction line (fatter hose) running along the right inner fender. The foam insulation retains moisture and corrodes the fittings. It's part of a hose assembly (Suction hose, accumulator). $94.00 at Autozone. After 10 years, It couldn't hurt to reseal all of the spring lock fittings and compressor manifold. Cheap insurance.
Thanx guys. In this case the leak was not there. A very good mechanic looked at it and he got a second opinion.