Taurus Antenna broken, how easy to replace?

My 1993 Taurus Wagon's antenna is broken. It actually has not been going up and down for a while now, but after coming out of the shop we've noticed that it's basically totally broken, the
stub that is sticking out is totally loose, the antenna motor is making a donkey-like sound, and we only get one FM station and nothing on AM. I should probably call the dealer and complain, but I suspect that would claim that they didn't do it, and since it needed to be replaced anyway I wouldn't mind doing it if it can be done cheaply. The antenna is currently power, but I'd be ok with a manual one. How difficult is it to get in there and remove the old antenna and put in a generic one? Or should I just let my normal mechanic do it?
Bill
Bill Rubin opined in

The hardest part is fishing the antenna lead around behind the dash.
the part itself is accessible by removing inner fender

On my '89 Probe, the antenna lead disconnected from the power antenna, so luckily I didn't have to worry about that part. The rest of the procedure was quite simple, really. Tom F.