Taurus-corroded freeze plugs on 3.0 liter

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem, or has a suggestion on how to deal with it. I have a 97 Taurus with the 3.0 Vulcan. A year and a half ago the coolant (which had been previously changed by the dealer) turned brown and the dealer, under warranty, thoroughly flushed the cooling system, replaced the 6 freeze plugs and the heater core. A couple of months ago the car lost coolant because the freeze plug behind the transmission failed. Since then, three other plugs failed including one that require the tranny be pulled again. I heard that Ford had received a bad batch of antifreeze a while back. Is there any TSB or extended warranty covering this particular problem?

Reply to
sglasser

Go to Google and type in SERVICE BULLETINS. Find your car and check for appropriate service bulletin.

Van

Reply to
Van

Let's see: The freeze plugs lasted 5 years. Then the dealer replaces them. And 4 of 6 freeze plugs fail?

I would go to the dealer and talk to the shop manager. It sounds like the shop didn't do a good job. If that fails, I would ask for the factory rep. And if that fails, I would write to the president of Ford.

This clearly sounds like a workmanship problem or a problem with the freeze plugs.

Jeff

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff