Taurus heater prob

Hi; I'm not familiar at all with the heater system; 2000 taurus very little heat coming from the heater. Engine temp is good so thermostat should be OK. Little info in my Haynes manual on the problem. Any advice appreciated. Bill

Reply to
WG

Had a 98 probably same issue heater core plugged - reverse flush with garden hose then forward flush then reverse again until flow it string and clear water. Real common issue did mine every fall before it got cold. Of course the tail ender and frame damage did that car in....

Cheer's

BTW search the web for taurus heater core plugged you'll get lot's of hits

Reply to
Hank

When was the last time the cooling system was flushed. It doesn't take much to stop up the heater core. I once took a company van that had the same problem & criss- crossed the heater hoses where they enter the firewall & the heat came back on & lasted three months until I criss crossed them again.

Reply to
Shawn

All good replies. To carry the suggestions a bit further, first check the temperature of the heater hoses where they go into the core. Both should be HOT and the same temperature. (close to radiator hose hot). If both are way cooler than the rad hoses, the thermostat or heater core plugging is suspect.

There was an issue with mid-late 90s Tauri with corrosion in the cooing system. Your 2000 may or may not be effected. It caused the water pump impeller to erode and not circulate the coolant, among other things.. Check the coolant in the radiator. If it is BROWN, then you have this problem. There was a Campaign on this, but it may not apply now. If the coolant is Green, then there is another concern. Your Taurus uses an electronic Blend Door Actuator to move the heat BLEND door in the MVAC system. BDA failures are common if the temp won't adjust. If the hoses to the heater core are both good and hot, (and the coolant is Green) suspect the BDA. (Usually requires Instrument Panel removal to replace, yikes).

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Thanks for the advice. Do you know if this blend door can be manually jammed open somehow from the outside? [a lever or something]. I'll just leave it wide open for the winter, I'd rather do that than replace. Thanks

Reply to
WG

No. The BDA sits right on top of the blend door pivot. You would have to remove it to even move the door.

Reply to
Tom Adkins