Taurus ODBII code 401

My 99 Taurus 3.0 engine keeps turning on the check engine light with code 401 meaning inadequate EGR. Which element is probably at fault? EGR valve, vacuum solenoid, back
pressure sensor?

Reading the OBD code is easy, finding the actual problem is the hard part
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
If I have to remove the EGR valve, I'd rather just replace it. Are they expensive? Are there after market parts?
Backyard Mechanic wrote in message ...

AHoudini wrote:

discount auto parts(advance) want $59.00 dealer wanted $65
Well, I went to auto zone and they charged me $59.

AHoudini opined in

Ah, but did it fix the problem??

AHoudini wrote:

the old P0401 trouble code over there.. will cover your taurus as well as the contours..... one is to clean the manifold by pulling off the throttle valve body and pulling all the carbon deposits out of the openings.. i had the P0401 on my 96 contur and changed out the EGR, the EGR vacuum modulator and still have the problem code and will get to the cleaning behind the throttle body when i get a chance to get to it.... been like this for about 2 yrs. now... no problems running the car, just the light stays on... i can get it to go out by disconnecting the battery but it comes back after two cycles in the car start up.....
According to my Haynes book, the EGR problem can cause engine overheating and detonation. My car seems to run OK too. I have the new EGR valve but the EGR pipe is on so tight I can't turn it loose.

AHoudini wrote:

is probably the heat that is swelling the pipe or fitting and not letting you take the tube off.. on my 96 contour V-6 enginer 2.5 lt. the tube came right off....... it looked a lot tighter than it was.. just one sharp pull on the wrench and it was like hand tight.....
You might want to spray some liquid penetrant on connection from the exhaust manifold pipe to EGR valve. Let it sit for an hour or so, or, overnight if you have the time. I had the same code, P0401 on a 98 Taurus, took the EGR valve off, only to find it was still good. The real problem was the Backk pressure sensor/DPFE/ PFE sensor. If and When you replace it, pay attention to how the two hoses are hooked up. The REF port is hooked to the hose from the lower part of the pipe nearest the exhaust manifold.

I, and many another, have had this problem. The DPFE sensor is a common problem on this car. Replaced it on mine and it went away. Luckily I have a datalogger and was able to log the voltage out of the sensor while driving with the old and new one.
You said that you replaced the EGR valve, I'm guessing that didn't work, or at least might have for the time being? I wonder if it's too late to return it if you just need the DPFE sensor.
Tom