Taurus ODBII code 401

My 99 Taurus 3.0 engine keeps turning on the check engine light with code

401 meaning inadequate EGR. Which element is probably at fault? EGR valve, vacuum solenoid, back pressure sensor?
Reply to
AHoudini

Reading the OBD code is easy, finding the actual problem is the hard part

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

go to

a web site for contours, i got alot of info on the old P0401 trouble code over there.. will cover your taurus as well as the contours..... one is to clean the manifold by pulling off the throttle valve body and pulling all the carbon deposits out of the openings.. i had the P0401 on my 96 contur and changed out the EGR, the EGR vacuum modulator and still have the problem code and will get to the cleaning behind the throttle body when i get a chance to get to it.... been like this for about 2 yrs. now... no problems running the car, just the light stays on... i can get it to go out by disconnecting the battery but it comes back after two cycles in the car start up.....

Reply to
jim

If I have to remove the EGR valve, I'd rather just replace it. Are they expensive? Are there after market parts?

Reply to
AHoudini

auto zone, cost me about $35.00 for one. discount auto parts(advance) want $59.00 dealer wanted $65

Reply to
jim

Well, I went to auto zone and they charged me $59.

Reply to
AHoudini

According to my Haynes book, the EGR problem can cause engine overheating and detonation. My car seems to run OK too. I have the new EGR valve but the EGR pipe is on so tight I can't turn it loose.

Reply to
AHoudini

let the car sit and try it when the engine is cold in the morning.. it is probably the heat that is swelling the pipe or fitting and not letting you take the tube off.. on my 96 contour V-6 enginer 2.5 lt. the tube came right off....... it looked a lot tighter than it was.. just one sharp pull on the wrench and it was like hand tight.....

Reply to
jim

overheating

Reply to
V.B. Mercon

I, and many another, have had this problem. The DPFE sensor is a common problem on this car. Replaced it on mine and it went away. Luckily I have a datalogger and was able to log the voltage out of the sensor while driving with the old and new one.

You said that you replaced the EGR valve, I'm guessing that didn't work, or at least might have for the time being? I wonder if it's too late to return it if you just need the DPFE sensor.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Leser

AHoudini opined in news:3f0ec1a7$0$1401$ snipped-for-privacy@news.ticon.net: