Taurus oil pump

Anyone know of an oil pump problem on the taurus 24v6cyl? MY2000

I have a problem with the oil pressure light going on. This happens when the engine is warm. I have tried heavier oil, and it cut down on the light-on condition.

Even with the light on, the rocker gallery has plenty of oil.

Thanks

Reply to
mhandley

Be safe, put a mechanical gauge on it and see what it is. You may just have a bad sender.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I agree with the bad sender as Big Al suggests, but my approach is different. I replace the sender. It's equivalent in labor to connecting an oil pressure guage, and tells the story just as quickly (but without the details.) If the original sender was bad and the oil pressure is acceptable, the job is done. Your new sender was what you needed. If the light still comes on, you can be sure there is a deeper oil pressure problem. I wouldn't expect it in a car less than 15 years old, though.

Just don't drive the car until you know one way or the other!!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I have had a similar problem on a 95 Taurus. The oil light flickers on when the car is idling or stopped (and in drive). The lower intake and valve gaskets were leaking but have been repaired. The mechanic told me the oil pressure is good. The light still comes on, however. Since the car is over 10 y old, I am reluctant to spend more money on repairs. Any suggestions? jms

"mhandley" wrote: > Anyone know of an oil pump problem on the taurus 24v6cyl? > MY2000 > > I have a problem with the oil pressure light going on. This > happens when > the engine is warm. I have tried heavier oil, and it cut down > on the > light-on condition. > > Even with the light on, the rocker gallery has plenty of oil. > > Thanks

Reply to
jms