Taurus "PFE Sensor" same as "EGR Valve Position Sensor"?

Hi,

We have a 1993 Taurus GL with the 3.0 v6. The Check Engine light started lighting on and off about a month ago and now is pretty much on all the time.

I checked the engine codes and am getting 326, 327 and 337. According to a codes list I have, this probably means a bad PFE or DPFE part.

Interestingly enough, this link:

says that, "An occasional problems on this vehicle is failure of the Pressure Feedback EGR (PFE) Sensor and the MAF Sensor."

I've talked to two of my local parts people and neither of them can reference "Pressure Feedback EGR Sensor" or "PFE Sensor". What I came up with that they both do sell is named "EGR Valve Position Sensor". There are two types of them available. The two port metal item that is on my car is this one:

If you're interested, the other one port plastic version can be viewed at:
Are these what Ford calls "PFE Sensor" ?

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Brcobrem

Reply to
Brcobrem

The two port is called a DPFE by Ford. The single port is called a PFE by Ford.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Thank you Neil for sharing your knowledge on this subject.

Regards, Brcobrem

> TS&MfrCode=GPS&MfrPartNumber=77911002> >

> TS&MfrCode=GPS&MfrPartNumber=77911005> >

Reply to
Brcobrem

Hi,

I have been back to the parts store and we all still trying to figure out if this DPFE valve is available 3rd party. I have taken a photo of the part installed in our Taurus. It has a part number on it of FOTE-A1A with 9J45S under that number.

My picture of this part can be viewed at the following link (double click the picture to make it larger on your screen). The two text boxes on my pic say "Electrical Connector, Connector Unplugged" and "Vacume Line Connector". Here's my picture:

The GP Sorenson brand part is still at:

Does anyone know if these parts are functionally the same?

I appreciate your thoughts on this project.

Sincerely, Brcobrem

> > TS&MfrCode=GPS&MfrPartNumber=77911002> > >

> > TS&MfrCode=GPS&MfrPartNumber=77911005> > >

Reply to
Brcobrem

Kind of a blurry picture, but that looks to be an EGR -solenoid-.

Definitely a DPFE sensor. Can be called an EGR position sensor.

No, they are not the same. The one in your picture is a solenoid, it's purpose is that it controls the amount of vacuum that is applied to the EGR valve via being duty cycled by the engine control computer. The PFE and DPFE sensors send a signal back to the engine control computer when EGR flow has been established.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

That is the control solenoid not the sensor. A 93 Taurus will not have a DPFE, it will have a PFE.

> > > TS&MfrCode=GPS&MfrPartNumber=77911002> > > >

> > > TS&MfrCode=GPS&MfrPartNumber=77911005> > > >

Reply to
Thomas Moats

> > > TS&MfrCode=GPS&MfrPartNumber=77911002> > > >

> > > TS&MfrCode=GPS&MfrPartNumber=77911005> > > >

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Hi Thomas & Neil,

With your help I have located the PFE Sensor on the Taurus. On the passenger side, at the rear side of the engine, there is a fiberglass insulated metal pipe that runs from the exhaust manifold up to the EGR Valve. About half way up that tube is a 1/4" port that has a little rubber (silicon?) tube that goes straight up to the single port PFE Sensor (mine is grey plastic). Mine had some kind of yellow gunk coming out of it, which I suppose qualifies it for the trash can. For the record, the imbossed Ford part number is F2SE-9J460-AA .

The correct aftermarket part is a GP Sorenson 77911005, which they call an "EGR Valve Position Sensor". It can be viewed at:

Once I had visually located the part on the car and noted the Ford part number, I was able to come up with this 1996 newsgroup post that may be of interest for research purposes:
Once again, thank you both very, very much for your help on this.

Sincerely, Brcobrem

Reply to
Brcobrem