Taurus Power Steering

On cold days when the steering wheel is moved left or right a squeeling noise is heard. Reading some posts I was of the opinion it was the belt or the belt tensioner with power steering pump just below my top choices. Took it in to the dealer and they recommended a new serpentine belt. They replaced the belt. Now the noise is worse than ever - I heard it even though I was in the house and that was less than 2 hours since the belt was replaced. Questions: Do new belts require a "breaking in" period (I think not)? Since it is a new belt could it be the tensioner (again I think not because that should have been checked??? when the new belt was fitted.)? Could it be the PS pump (my logical thinking steers me in this direction if new belts don't need a breaking in period and tensioner is fine.)? Any suggestions, or has the dealer taken the easy option? Thaks in advance, Gary

Reply to
Natasha & Gary

Natasha & Gary

There is no break in period for the belt. The most likely culprit is the tensioner. Did the dealer diagnose anything or just say it was the belt based on your description? Any problem, no matter how small, should be diagnosed. If a resolution can't be reached, the person performing the repairs should tell you this and offer a best effort repair, with no guarantee. I would remove the belt, and spin the tensioner pulley by hand, it will probably feel a bit rough if it is the problem. How cold is cold? If you are in the upper mid-west, and it's been 15 degrees below zero, I would get over a little squeal at first start up.

Reply to
Michael O