Taurus starts/stalls when let off gas

Hello all...new here. I have a 99 Taurus with the 24V Duratec engine. It has been well maintained and given me no problems in the 140,000 miles it has on it...until now. The problem is:
I can start the vehicle, but I have to hold the gas pedal down to keep it running. As soon as you let off the gas pedal, it will stall. I changed the fuel filter already, so it is not that. I was thinking possibly the IAC valve, but not sure. Anyone have any suggestions or had this happen before?
Thanks in advance!
Laura Carter wrote:

I went through the same thing a couple of weeks ago with my 2000 Taurus. It ran fine in cruise, but I had to keep one foot on the gas and one on the brake when I tried to take it out of park. I had to do the same at traffic lights. This went on for the better part of a day before it miraculously corrected itself.
It ended up being the IAC valve. No problems since then....
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Laura Carter wrote:

the Throttle Position Sensor thread here recently. The dealer charged that poster 268.00 to replace. That's one option. I cleaned mine (as recommended by another poster in an earlier thread) about a month ago and so far no problems. My vehicle is a T-Bird but I would assumes the layout is similar.
Frank
Is he check engine lite on ?
If not it is usually dirt related, clean the throttle body and iac valve with t-body cleaner, but you probably have to replace the iac valve....
Johan

I vote IAC, too. I've heard people respond negatively to the idea of cleaning the IAC, like this poster, but I've done it and had no problems for the subsequent 25k miles on my 2000 Taurus Duratec.
It's definitely worth trying.
CJB

Thanks everyone for the input...The check engine lite never came on so I didn't think the problem would be too bad...no codes or anything. It turned out to be the IAC valve. Thanks for the help everyone.
in article DV_vd.5932$mn6.5872@trnddc07, CJB at snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote on 12/15/04 11:56 AM:

Must be a dealer thing :-)
Replacing it you have a 95% change its fixed
Cleaning a 50/75 % change it is fixed Customer comes back screaming in the drive what a bunch of fu***** idiots we are that we cant fix his goddam***** car request/demands a free rental, off course not that wimpy focus but a Crown vic/expedition or similar. You get a RO with a big "RECHECK" stamped on it and your boss gives you that look .
In this news group I recommend cleaning
At work replace :-)
A week ago a guy at work recommended a cam sensor, customer DECLINED repair, tech clears the code and put car back together. A week later customer comes back screaming his check engine lite is back on .......
Some people are stupid
Johan
I'm absolutely sure that's true. There are a number of things that are just the same way. If someone were paying me, I'd replace them. If it's me (free labor :-), then it's worth trying cheaper, legitimate fixes.
CJB