Taurus wheel alignment

Hi group: '91 Taurus wagon. When front wheels are straight the steering wheel is at about 11 O'clock. Mechanic says wheel alignment needed. So sayeth tire dealer. What sayeth y'all? I have never had a car, needing alignment, that had this problem. But then, I have never owned a Ford before this one. Your thoughts appreciated. Will check with you later. No email please. Snookie

Reply to
High Nonnie

A 4 wheel alignment would be the preference for thi car. I do several a year including caster/camber modifications.

Whatever your preference is, a car with an off-center steering wheel is in need of service... ignoring the concern can cost as little as some tires of be an indicator of much more serious problems.

Properly aligned wheels and correct tire pressures go a long way to improving fuel mileage and adding stability to a car (stability being a safety feature).

Reply to
Jim Warman

It's like this: You use the tie rods (toe adjustment) to align the wheel. Simple really. Of course you will pay for a total front wheel alignment.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

technically it shouldn't need adjusting unless either something is worn, or bent, wheel alignment doesn't just "go out" of its own accord so if its scrubbing tyres out then check all the mounts, bushes etc etc. it doesn't hurt to have it checked periodically. steve.

Reply to
anon

Thanks for responses. To be so badly out of alignment to effect the steering wheel position, I would think there would be other indications. There are none I can see/feel. Tires not "scrubbing". Steering no problem. Mainly it is just disconcerting.

This did not happen until after it was checked for air bag warning light blinking. I assumed the mechanic had removed the steering wheel to check & replaced steering wheel slighly off. Mechanic says only one way for steering wheel to "fit" & suggested alignment. Tire dealer said same. Oh well, old ladies are at the mercy of more knowledgable folks. I trust my mechanic but perhaps he's not too up on this particular problem. Thanks again. Snookie

Reply to
High Nonnie

tell them tyo set the toe and collect the dough a simple toe adjustment is all thats needed just get a 2 wheel align

i bet they hit the hoist in the shop

h u r c a s t

Reply to
6whiteboomer77

How long have you had the car? has the steering wheel always been this way?

Just having the steering wheel off center does not mean you need an alignment. That could be the result of some other careless repair work.

Now, why were you in the tire shop? Tires worn? What was the wear pattern on the old tires? The tires will tell the story of what's out of whack. Chances are too you might need struts all the way around if its a higher mileage car that old. do you notice the front or rear end bouncing over bumps? Does the car pull to one side? Sag in the front or the rear?

If the car has never had front end work, i'll will be you'll start with tie rod ends and maybe end with struts. You cannot adjust what's broke or severely worn. Most tire shops will be all too happy to point out what you need.

Reply to
BOB URZ

I haven't seen anyone mention a broken subframe bolt. Ford had enough of a problem with them to issue a recall several years ago. An offset steering wheel was the first thing most people noticed when they broke. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Lots of good opinions. Thanks for responding so courtiesly to an old broad with her WebTV.

OK. Tie rods, struts, alignment, broken subframe bolt. Won't my mechanic be impressed! (Sure) You're a good group. Will let you know when/if/how problem gets solved. Snookie

Reply to
High Nonnie

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (High Nonnie) wrote in news:24985-42C22E71-945 @storefull-3212.bay.webtv.net:

"Snookie"?!!!

I get an idea where YOU spend your time on-line! ;)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic