Tbird: Throttle linkage

Hi
I own a Tbird 91 SC auto. The cable between the transmission and the throttle linkage doesn't move. The visible part on the top is okay. What
is on the other end (spring?) and where? I know it is somewhere near the transmission, but I can't see it! I have an Haynes manual and they only talk about the visible part...
By now, my car only shift at 4500RPM!
Thanks
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:57:24 -0400, "Pascal Boivin"

You either have a throttle cable that is stuck at the full open position or something has gone wrong in the trans. I'm betting on a stuck cable that needs replacement. In this position, you don't have to worry about burning up the trans - just blowing the engine.
Lugnut
lugnut wrote:

That is also what I beleive (cable is stuck)... I use this cars only 4-5 times per year. I guess the last time I use it, I push the throttle to the floor and the cable stays here.
If only I could reach the other ends of that cable!

Pascal Boivin wrote:

I *think* its just a kick down. If so it only moves near wide open throttle. Can you pull it back into position?
This cable isn't a "detent cable"... it is a "throttle valve cable". Transmissions like the C4, C6, FMX, et al had a vacuum modulator and a detent cable. The vacuum modulator signal would indicate the engine load to the transmission and adjust the line pressure accordingly (high vacuum light load = low line pressure.... low vacuum = high load = high line pressure). The detent cable would indicate that the throttle was wide open and, depending on conditions, would trigger a downshift.
The "throttle valve cable" has quite a different purpose. Without a

Might also be a cable for cruise control