TECH: Ford Explorer code P0171?

I've got a '97 Ford Exp. XLT with 126k miles. My "Check Engine" light is one. I took it to AutoZone about a week ago and they told me error code
P0171 was coming up. They reset the code for me and the check engine light came back on again within a day. I took it to AutoZone again and the same code P0171 is coming up. They said this is because one or both of the O2 sensors are bad or clogged. I took them off and both are clean to the eye. Is there something more common for this error? Any help is appreciated. Please email me. Thanks.
--

-Frank

P0171 = System too lean( Bank 1. You probably have a related problem with the MAF( Mass Air Flow) sensor. Try cleaning it.You will need an aerosol can of quick drying electronics parts cleaner, and some lint-free Q-tips.. Spray a quick shot to loosen any oil or varnish, wipe with the Q-tip. Spray another quick shot to wash away any residue.

you can try this.... if you think it is possibly the o2 sensor... get an acetilyne torch and heat that sensor up cherry red... reinstall and see what happeneds..
I had a similar problem on my dodge spirit.. was running too rich though.... i cleaned the o2 sensor by heating it up.. burning off any carbon and it works good...
By the way what does autozone charge for a code diagnosis?
Thanks, Ken

nothing

It was free at Autozone.
--

-Frank

"Mercury" < snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net> wrote in message
I had a similar problem with my Explorer, it turned out to be the intake manifold gaskets (vacuum leak). I just had to retorque the bolts down, problem solved. Explorers were recalled for this if you have the SOHC V-6 engine. Recall campaign was 00m12. It is not the oxygen sensor.....I replaced both of them when my check engine light came on..no change.