Temp Gauge?

Hey all,
I've got a question about temperature gauge operation. I've always owned Japanese cars and noticed that once the engine reaches operating temperature
the temperature gauge never moves in the slightest. Yet I can feel hotter air blowing out of the heater when going up a hill and cooler air when going down so I'm sure the engine's actual temperature varies. I know the gauge works since the engine did over-heat once and the gauge slowly climbed into the red zone as I'd expect. My wife's car is a Saturn and other family members own Dodges and Fords all of which have temperature gauges that fluctuate constantly with varying operating conditions.
What is it about the gauges that is different and is there any reason why one manufacturer would choose one over the other?
Thanks,
Mike
"Mike G." wrote:

Some automakers "dampen" the needle swing, and others go so far as to suppress the output on the high side of the scale; if the gauge DOESN'T move during the course of normal driving, it's probably not a gauge at all, just a disguised "feel-good" idiot light.

Yeah that makes great sense. The radiator fan kicks on/off, presumably in response to engine (or is it coolant?) temperature changes. My 2002 Taurus never get above and stays exactly at the guage midpoint once the engine has warmed up.