Temp. guage 94 Topaz

What am I missing. Temp guage on my 94 Topaz barely moves, even on a long run. Not the fuse, replaced thermostat and temp. sensor, the one by the thermostst. Car works excellant {160,000 orig. km} lots of heat. Gas
milege is down 6 miles per gallon to 20 from 26. Winter will account for some of this but I have a feeling something is telling the computer that the car is running cooler than it actually is, but I'm no mechanic. Anyone have any ideas, Thanks Rene
Rene wrote:

Thermostat may still be bad, even a new one. Does electric cooling fan behind radiator always stay on? It shouldn't. More than 50/50 coolant mix (-34 F.) can affect heat transfer also, giving a false reading to sender - sender should NOT have any sealant on threads, which will give a poor ground. Ground sender wire to block MOMENTARILY with ignition on to check gauge and/or sender WIRE; gauge should go full hot in less than 2 seconds.