temp. sensors

problem is a 96 3.8 has two sensors one has two wires the other one wire.The 97 3.8 has two sensors both are two wire sensors.Both also they have a third temp. sensor that's a one wire that leads to the back of the engine.Which one of these sensors are supposed to work the mechanical gauge.I got all the sensors to work but the temp. gauge.Please don't say I have to change the wiring harness.