Temp tire: how far can you drive on it?

How far can you drive on a Ford temp tire (I have a 2000 Focus) and how fast can you drive on it?

--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:

They USED to be labeled with those restrictions...
Was 50 miles at 50 MPh as i recall...

Backyard Mechanic wrote:

I know a lady that drove a temp spare for 2 months...... till it went flat on her........... then she called her hubby, and asked himwhat she should do now??
--
everyone should have a pet
I adopted a kitty cat >^.,.^<
Markansas wrote:

Why call her husband? She should have called a cab.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

flat
should do

Because men fix cars, women drive them.
mcalister opined

No...the point being, he should have made sure the original tire was fixed way before... I'm slow on the uptake but I check my wife's car out every week or so.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

I encouraged her to either get her flat fixed, or buy some new tires...... she wasn't blonde, but could be if she dyed her hair to match her brains
--
everyone should have a pet
I adopted a kitty cat >^.,.^<

If it's not on the tire, then check the owners manual.
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 05:16:49 -0500, "pick one" <try again!> wrote:

Remember, that max speed is highly dependent on the cars load, the tires condition/pressure, the road, and weather.
With the icey roads in the north east, and those tiny tires, I wouldn't do over 15 till the next tire repair place.
Be careful,

imho,
tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 08:25:08 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@intertainia.com wrote:

Those baby doughnut tires are usually rated for anywhere between 40-50 MPH max. It should be on the tire somewhere.
With regards to load, road conditions, etc. Isn't that true of ANY tire....?

True, but the topic was the temp one. :)

wasnt the question labeled, how far? I've heard of some of my bum friends driving on them for weeks, I suggest just buying one, if the funds are low you can pick up decent used ones for around $20

My flat tires tend either to be the slow leaks where the tire goes flat overnight at home or a puncture/blowout 200 miles from home in the middle of the night. So I am wondering if I should get rid of this temp tire and get a decent tire for a spare. Yes it says it is rated 50 miles per hour. How much extra margin is there in that figure? Can I drive 65? 60?
--
Jonathan Grobe

Jonathan Grobe wrote:

I've seen people do it. I don't know that I would. I once had a blowout on the other side of the state on a Sunday night. Needless to say, I was pretty much screwed; I had to use that crappy little tire and then drive 250 miles home at 45 mph.
The next day I bought five new Michelins and a new spare full sized wheel. The new spare raised the floor of my trunk a couple of inches but it was workable. I don't know why Ford doesn't just make the well deep enough for a full sized spare if you wanted to put one there.
One other thing I did as a direct result of that experience: I bought a hydraulic jack to keep in the trunk along with a full sized "X" style lug wrench. I will never again get caught trying to work with the crappy little spare / jack / lug wrench that Ford gives you. Life is too short.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:21:32 +0000 (UTC), Jonathan Grobe

Something like 50 miles max, and that will be unpleasant, as the tire width and diameter are too small. You will want to drive less distance. The speed limit is something like 45 MPH.
It would work better on a non-driven wheel. I used one on my high mileage front wheel drive front, and I drove 45 MPH, and it sounded like a Lear Jet (plane, not tape player). (differential gears)
Those tires need 60 PSI of air pressure, and are low volume, so they don't stay full for long.
Never BUY one, buy the proper real wheel and tire instead.
snipped-for-privacy@iname.com wrote:

I drove more than 200 miles on one on a Sunday night after having a blowout in East Bumfuck. It seemed like there wasn't a tire store open anywhere so I was driven (so to speak) by necessity. Although I have seen others go faster, I abided by the 45 mph limit printed on the spare.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN