Temp tire: how far can you drive on it?

How far can you drive on a Ford temp tire (I have a 2000 Focus) and how fast can you drive on it?

Reply to
Jonathan Grobe

Jonathan Grobe opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@worf.netins.net:

They USED to be labeled with those restrictions...

Was 50 miles at 50 MPh as i recall...

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
pick one

If it's not on the tire, then check the owners manual.

Reply to
scott_z500

I know a lady that drove a temp spare for 2 months...... till it went flat on her........... then she called her hubby, and asked himwhat she should do now??

Reply to
Markansas

Why call her husband? She should have called a cab.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Because men fix cars, women drive them.

Reply to
mcalister

Remember, that max speed is highly dependent on the cars load, the tires condition/pressure, the road, and weather.

With the icey roads in the north east, and those tiny tires, I wouldn't do over 15 till the next tire repair place.

Be careful,

imho,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

Those baby doughnut tires are usually rated for anywhere between 40-50 MPH max. It should be on the tire somewhere.

With regards to load, road conditions, etc. Isn't that true of ANY tire....?

Reply to
Mark

mcalister opined

No...the point being, he should have made sure the original tire was fixed way before... I'm slow on the uptake but I check my wife's car out every week or so.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

True, but the topic was the temp one. :)

Reply to
newsgroups01REMOVEME

Reply to
Petebert

My flat tires tend either to be the slow leaks where the tire goes flat overnight at home or a puncture/blowout 200 miles from home in the middle of the night. So I am wondering if I should get rid of this temp tire and get a decent tire for a spare. Yes it says it is rated

50 miles per hour. How much extra margin is there in that figure? Can I drive 65? 60?
Reply to
Jonathan Grobe

I've seen people do it. I don't know that I would. I once had a blowout on the other side of the state on a Sunday night. Needless to say, I was pretty much screwed; I had to use that crappy little tire and then drive 250 miles home at

45 mph.

The next day I bought five new Michelins and a new spare full sized wheel. The new spare raised the floor of my trunk a couple of inches but it was workable. I don't know why Ford doesn't just make the well deep enough for a full sized spare if you wanted to put one there.

One other thing I did as a direct result of that experience: I bought a hydraulic jack to keep in the trunk along with a full sized "X" style lug wrench. I will never again get caught trying to work with the crappy little spare / jack / lug wrench that Ford gives you. Life is too short.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I encouraged her to either get her flat fixed, or buy some new tires...... she wasn't blonde, but could be if she dyed her hair to match her brains

Reply to
Markansas

Something like 50 miles max, and that will be unpleasant, as the tire width and diameter are too small. You will want to drive less distance. The speed limit is something like 45 MPH.

It would work better on a non-driven wheel. I used one on my high mileage front wheel drive front, and I drove 45 MPH, and it sounded like a Lear Jet (plane, not tape player). (differential gears)

Those tires need 60 PSI of air pressure, and are low volume, so they don't stay full for long.

Never BUY one, buy the proper real wheel and tire instead.

Reply to
clemslay

I drove more than 200 miles on one on a Sunday night after having a blowout in East Bumfuck. It seemed like there wasn't a tire store open anywhere so I was driven (so to speak) by necessity. Although I have seen others go faster, I abided by the 45 mph limit printed on the spare.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN