Temperature Sensor Resistance 85 302

I am putting a 302 V8 into an MGB. It's out of an 85 Mustang. It's not EFI.

What is the resistance of the temperature sensor when it allows the fan to turn on?

I bought a fan with controller, but it comes with a copper connector that goes into the rad, and to an exposed controller. I wish to use the temperature sensor that shipped with the engine originally (on the intake) and build my own circuit. But I don't know the resistance (impedance) of the sensor when the fan should be kicking in.

Please do not reply by email.

Thanks!

Reply to
Netaccess News

The intake manifold sensor measures the engine coolant temperature not the radiator water temperature. Most cooling fan controllers that use the coolant temp as an input should also determine the vehicle speed and AC status to determine when to activate the cooling fans. According to Probst's "Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control", Ford's EEC-IV engine coolant temperature sensor measurements are as follows:

248F --- 1.18 Kohms 230F --- 1.55 Kohms 212F --- 2.07 Kohms 194F --- 2.80 Kohms 176F --- 3.84 Kohms

If you want to use a variable resistance coolant sending unit not designed for EEC-IV, than simply measure the resistance of the unit in varying water temperature conditions on your kitchen stove top. I would expect the cooling fan to kick in somewhere at or below the thermostat setting when the car is not moving fast with no AC on. Measuring the radiator temp would automatically account for vehicle speed and AC use. Stan K.

Reply to
Stan Kasperski