Tempo fan

The car is a '92 Tempo with a 2.3l. The cooling fan will not come on when it is supposed to (a/c is on or engine reaches operating temperature). However, when I disconnect the temperature sensor at the
thermostat, the fan runs all the time. I replaced the thermostat sensor. Same result. I'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas what would cause this behavior? I've also replaced the relay control module.
Thanks!
Dave