tempo help

is it posible to change a car from struts to shocks pleez help me

Reply to
infamous5681

The struts are a combination of spring and shock all in one assembly to save space. their location, spring rate, and shock absorbancy are all part of the vehicle design. You can't just stick a shock where the strut is. If you added a shock with a helper spring you would have an improperly designed strut. If you could redesign the car around your new shock, yes it could be done. Why not share what you actually have in mind? Are you having a problem with strut performance or changing struts? Is it the cost that makes you wonder? Almost anything is possible at some cost.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Reply to
Jeremiah Greer

In one word.. "NO". Why do you want to? It;s common for the upper mounts to fail and rattle before you notice the struts are whipped on a Tempo. If this is the case, full strut\spring\spindle assemblies are available at the local bone yard for short money. I recently replaced the whole left front assembly on a wreck for $50. These cars are getting pretty old these days, so used parts are cheap. I don't usually recommend used parts like these, but for a 14 or more year old car it's a viable option to keep it going. I usually look at the available parts cars and often find one where the struts, etc are reasonably new(ish).

Reply to
Tom Adkins