Tempo wiper problem

I have a 1992 Tempo with intermittent wipers. My problem is that occasionally, the wipers will run by themselves even when the switch is in the off position. Sometimes they run at normal speed and sometimes
they run very slowly.
Thinking the problem might be the switch, I unplugged it, but the problem still exists.
Anyone have any possible solution? I guess the possibilities might be the motor or the "governor," whatever that is.
Thanks!
Dave wrote:

The "wiper governor" name is a bit misleading. It's basically the intermittant wiper control module. The problem you describe could be caused by either the governor or the park switch in the wiper motor itself. Loose contacts in the switch can cause this, but you've ruled that out. Without being able to do any testing on the system, my money would be on the wiper motor. Governor failures "usually" show up as wipers not functioning at all or not turning off at all, and arent really common (in my personal experience). The park switch contacts in the motor can break off and short inside the switch causing intermittant pulsing. If you live in a snowy climate, snow packed under the wiper blades can cause damage to the contacts. I would suggest finding a wiring diagram and properly testing the system. If you are unable to do this, a used governor shouldn't be more than about $10 at the local junk yard. If that doesn't solve the problem, a new or rebuilt wiper motor is in order.