terminology: Muscle vs GT

Could someone tell me what's the difference between a muscle car and a GT is? muscle as in not quite GT? As far as i understand GT stands for "not quite sport". Is that correct?

Reply to
isquat

IMHO, a muscle car stands for large engine and accompanied large power, while a GT car maybe sporty and durability. It may be wrong, but I was told that GT means "gran turismo" in Italian that means "great touring" in English, somehow.

Reply to
Henry Chen

Guess this would explain all the sunfire GT's out there ;P

Pretty sure you wouldn't put a sunfire between a muscle car and a GT would you?

I question a sunfire being sporty or durable ;P

GT does mean gran turismo.

Reply to
Picasso

In the business, a muscle car was at term used to designate a small car with a large engine and a sport tuned suspension. Pony Car was another, for cars that were made to compete with the Mustang after 1964.

A GT designation, which translates to "gran turismo," on the other hand came from Italian sports cars and was applied by others to any car that has the letters GT on a car, that was not really a muscle car, like the Toyota GT for example ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I had a good laugh a couple of days ago. In traffic I was following a Ford Tempo GT. Yep, a Tempo GT. I guess Ford was really grabbing at everything that year for an extra sale.......

Reply to
Kruse