TFI operating temp

I think its time to replace the TFI module on my 86 LTD and I'm thinking of relocating it to a suitable finned heat sink on a bracket close to the distributor as the harness allows.
anyone know how hot they get in free air? I would guess its lower than the distrubutor on most days.
Luddite opined in

Welll if you need a project, I suppose.
Anywhere forward of the engine.
If you're sure it's failing you.
Otherwise just clean off the old grease. use good white heatsink grease.
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 01:52:38 +0000 (UTC), Luddite

Don't know when but, somewhere in the early 90's, the truck went to a remote mount over the rear of the left inner fender. May be able to get setup for truck to relocate. You will probably be in good shape to replace the module with a current version and make sure you use the heat sink grease that comes with it. The biggest heat problem is the grease drying out over time and becoming less effective allowing the module to overheat and fail. You can get heat sink grease or thermal paste in a tube from Radio Shack. Many computer shops have it as it is thye same stuff used to attach cooling fans to the CPU of your computer and other electronic applications. BTW, it ain't cheap!!! It just doesn't take much of it to do the job properly applied.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Flats/3349/remote.htm
I have some spade connectors that should fit the contacts with help from a file and connect to the old one as shown above. there are remote kits out there marketed for trucks that work the same but look neater..