Thanks to Backyard Mech and Tom Lester for the advice

I appreciate all the great info on the 94 Taurus wagon I bought this month. There are many people on this board that can help anyone with a car challenge.
I thought my car was losing its tranny, it stalled out on a 6% downhill in 100 degree weather. After working with a trans shop expert, this board, my trusty mechanic I'm flying down the road. A new VSS, some clutch material in the pan, and NOT driving in D for 80 miles at a time makes a difference. Guess I overheated the computer.
Its easy to blame the car model, but eliminating and exposing problems via this board means others won't make the same mistake
JD opined in

Want some unsolicited extra advice?
Upgrade the tranny cooler. They arent real expensive and they make a real difference.
I bought a tbird with slippage problems in OD when hot.
Installed a cooler and added 1 bottle of Lucas additive (dont recommend that unless slipping).
Have put 6000 on it since i got it.. and no problems yet; I WILL have to change the tranny, eventually, but I'm going to run it till it shows symptoms again.
JD opined in

go to napaonline.com and price it...
my med size cooler cost me about 50 bucks. Plus 50 to install it by a corner Marathon station in Atlanta.
3.0? All cast iron... I've noticed that too... in reverse, my 3.8 (Alum heads)seems to cool off faster than my old 2.3L's (all cast)
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:59:36 -0000, Backyard Mechanic

If you are in the Atlanta area, you should pick up your coolers at TPU where you can get a large Hayden for under $35.