The 1/4 tank to cool your fuel pump myth

{sorry for the multiple post, but I found an interesting point: Anything posted in Subject including a colon that is not "RE:" doesnt make it
through TAA filter. And we wouldnt want that, would we?} - - - -- - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - Contrary to what some believe, it's not necessary to keep your tank at any given level to prevent your fuel pump from "burning out".
Inspection of any pump/sender assy will bear this out. If such were the case, the pump would be shaped like a large flat can and be right at the bottom of the tank.
In fact, you are FAR more likely to burn your pump out prematurely if you have a clogged fuel filter.
It's gas flowing THROUGH the pump that provides the cooling... and on EFI systems that use fuel rail regulators and return lines, the flow can diminish enough to allow the pump to overheat while there is still enough flow to run the engine.
http://tinyurl.com/bne3m
--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, staving off dementia here..DEAL with it!

Oppps .. WRONG it does make it through... seems to be a big variation in propagation delay!
--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, staving off dementia here..DEAL with it!