The 3.0 V-6 Mazda puts in the MPV:

Understand it's a Ford powerplant. How good of an engine is it? TIA!

--
http://home.att.net/~damonhynes /
L'altra macchina mia e` una barchetta rossa

It's the same 3.0 24V Duratec 200hp engine used in the Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable since 1996. It's also used in the Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute. A variation with different heads and more HP (220 vs 200, but a bit less torque) is used on the Mazda6.
A 2.5L version (most were 170HP, Contour SVT had 195 or 200HP versions) was used in the Contour/Mystique/Cougar, and MPV's before 2003.
The 3.4L V8 in the '96-'99 Taurus SHO was a 2.5L Duratec with 2 extra cylinders.
I haven't hard of any common problems, especially with the 3.0L versions. Early 2.5L's had water pump failures.