The 5 most overpriced vehicles

Page 1 of 2
"...the Dodge Ram is among the most egregiously overpriced cars in the U.S. Rounding out the top five: the Mercury Grand Marquis, Ford's F- 150, the Dodge Durango and the GMC Envoy..."
Forbes.com article: http://easyurl.net/Overpriced
More crap from the fool

I can't see the Grand Marquis as being over priced - if you like that sort of thing. I can buy one for less than a V-6 Camry with similar equipment and it will get almost the same fuel mileage. On the downside, it is a big soft riding barge....I tried driving one for a few months and decided it wasn't for me (it was my Mother's car and I decided to try it out when she got a new car).
If the Ram and F150 are over priced, then the Tundra must be super wildly over priced. Toyota has piled so many incentives on to that pig that they are almost giving them away - surely it is Toyota biggest marketing disaster in a decade. To big, to ugly, horrible gas mileage, quality problems, design problems, what a joke of a truck.
Ed

They don't call them TOY Yodas for nothing. I want a real truck. not a toy.
On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 17:29:27 -0500, "C. E. White"

She probably didn't get the handling suspension package. If you option it like police car, or simply order the police package, it's a great handling car with a nice solid ride and about 22 mpg on the highway.

Probably most people don't get and don't know of the package. I had one as a rental and it was like driving a living room sofa bobbing on ocean waves. Horrid machine on the highway.
Ashton Crusher wrote:

That's a bit of a stretch, no? I doubt it'll be pulling the Lotus' and Ferrari's through the corners. Better handling is a far cry from 'great' handling.

hook the boat up behind ether of them as well.
Whitelightning.
Whitelightning wrote:

two in the front with NO legroom in the back. It's a big car but very very little legroom in the back. The only way you get 6 in there is if they're midgets and the boat is a 12 footer.

Everything is relative. Compared to just about anything else mass produced and at a reasonable price, adding the handling package makes it very very good but no, it's not going to knock off a Ferrari. Even years ago when R&T (or one of the major car mags) tested a police package Impala they were getting around 0.90 on the skid pad and praised how well it handled. These cars can handle surprisingly well when properly set up, it's really a shame they don't just build them all that way.
Ashton Crusher wrote:

Handling isn't all just about the skidpad number, feedback from the car telling you when you are reaching the limits, how well it absorbs the road AND gives you feedback without losing grip through the bumpies, perfect power steering balance, all those things contribute. I've got a G35 and a Maxima that are the same year and very close to the same size, but the Max has horrible floaty handling, 45 ft turning radius, and a too much body roll. It handles considerably better than my fathers Impala and I still think it sucks because I'm used to the G35. RWD and IRS baby, that's the ticket. As soon as the Max is paid off I'm getting another 6 speed G35....
Ashton Crusher wrote:

More like 30-32 on the highway (at legal speeds :)
I do have the Handling Package BTW...

No one is getting a true 32 miles per gallon on a V-8 Grand Marquis, unless they are towing it...

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Likely, since it's a Canadian car :)

Maybe not, but I certainly got in the high 20's (27) with my Mother's old Grand Marquis with four people and luggage in the car on trip to Annapolis in 2006. In everyday driving (back and forth to work) I average 21 mpg - almost the same as with my current Fusion, and better than my SO 4 cylinder Front Wheel Drive RAV4. For comparison, this year we drove the RAV4 to Annapolis, with the same four people and luggage, and we got...wait for it.............27 mpg., the same as with the Grand Marquis.
If you have not driven a Grand Marquis, I think you would be surprised at how good they are on gas. On a long trip my 6 cylinder AWD Fusion will beat it by no more than 1 or 2 miles per gallon.
Ed

Ah you are so right. The "but" here is ---- given today's more common mindset among many drivers, it (the Tundra) is made by a Japanese company and therefore, by definition, must be superior to anything with an American badge on it. Don't confuse them with facts, their minds are made up already...
DaveD

Sad, but true Dave... sad, but true..... <sigh>
Mike

Mike Simmons wrote:

I have pretty good open-mind credentials on this, because my most recent purchase was an F-150. I dug around and it was a pretty clear winner. Things can always take an ugly turn, but so far, it appears to be one hell of a machine. It's a low mileage '96, but it's still a Ford.
With that said, you can lament the public's attitude toward US manufacturers, but whose fault is that? I cannot speak to the whole market, but they produced some real junk 20+ years ago, and like it or not, it takes a long time for the collective memory to get past it. I can still remember the Buick that fell apart on me, and the company's terrible attitude about it. Now you have people not much older than me with kids leaving for college; what guidance do you think they provide? More to the point, what are they going to buy, as it is probably their money, not Junior's?
It is damn hard to win over a customer; it is very easy to send them elsewhere, and while it was a long time ago, the US manufacturers did some really stupid stuff. The price has been high, but that's how it works. They knew that, or should have known it, when they were mis-behaving. The piper is still collecting royalties.
If it helps any, I have noted that Nissan's attitude toward my 18 year old Sentra has been less than stellar. Sure they don't make money on me, but one would hope they would see it as badge of honor and at least bag the hostility. In fairness, I think it is mostly a dealer (which I visit only when there is no other choice) taken over by poor management. However, I also noted a few years ago that Nissan was worst of class in SUVs or something. Nissan might be in the throws of the same mistakes that Buick and others made decades ago???
Bill

trucks to see the way Reanult works, they milked Mack for everything they could and then sold the dregs to Volvo.
The media is as much to blame as anyone. Let GM or Ford have a recall and their all over it like vultures on road kill. But how comes they never do the same on the ricers?
Whitelightning