The batmobile was a Ford?

Hey all! I'm new here but I think I may have found somethign of interest. I'm sure most of you remember the 1960's batman tv show with adam west. Well i came upon the website www.starcarcentral.com and on
their page about the infamous batmobile they say it was originally a ford concept car called the Futura. Is this true?

Yes it is. The Batmobile was designed by George Barris I believe.
Eric
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It was a Lincoln Futura concept car. From what little I know, it modified all that much to make it "batty."
--= DJ =--
Check this out...
http://1966batmobile.com /
DJ wrote:

I meant it WASN'T modified all that much.
DJ wrote:

Looks like that car that homer designed.. can't remeber what he called it ;P
http://girtby.net/images/homer-car.gif
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yes...
--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!

My info said it was a Lincoln Futura, but all in the family as they say. Lots of people argued it was a Pontiac because of the grill shape, but Barris confirmed it was the Lincoln concept car.
Also the original couldn't go more than 30 mile per hour or stuff started to blow off. The entrance to the "Bat Cave" (actually Bronson Cave in south Griffith Park) sequence was run at double speed to make the car seem fast.
Just wanted to add a bit.
LC
I always thought it was a Pontiac. Fred

Before its bat make over, it also starred in a B/W movie that stared Glen Ford. I can't remember its name but it does show the car before the make over.
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0052934 / Here is a link to the movie listing. Under triva it list that the car is later becomes the batmobile.