the best way for Ford to rebound.... ?

Page 1 of 2
make another 1990's type of taurus, thats it. that was a sharp car an sold a ton.bottom line is develop a car that appeals to the masses an they will buy, to me ford has alotta pinto's an vegas,nothing that is
a sharp american car, and i will buy ford regardless but i would love to see another taurus type of car. so the newer version of taurus just doesnt cut it. _________ Used Car Donation Car and Autos Zone http://www.zone-car.com

If Ford's '09 F-150 is any indication, they'll be out of business within five years. Just butt ugly.
You certainly are entitled to you own opinion but obviously your opinion is the opinion of a minority of buyers. The F150 is currently, and has been, the best selling vehicle in the US for over thirty one years. The Ford pickup trucks sell at a rate nearly double that of the best selling car ;)

Mike hunt wrote:

Really? Ford sold less than 55,000 F150 trucks. Toyota sold 40,487 Camries. For Ford to sell nearly twice as many F150 trucks, it would have to sell well over 70,000 F150 trucks (80,000 would be twice as many - I know you have problems with math, especially percentages). (Ford's total sales of F-series trucks, which includes F250 and F350 trucks, as well was less about 55,000 last month). Ford's F-series sales were down 24% from the same month last year.
The majority of buyers (over 84%) did not buy a Ford. In fact, more people bought Toyotas than Fords last month. And more people bought GM pickups than Ford pickups, too. So the vast majority of people voted against Ford where it counts, at the dealer.
I thought that the new Ford F150 at the NYC auto show was really cool. Then again, I liked to Pontiac Aztec.
The numbers were released on April Fool's day, which is your day. (In fact, one would think the figure in the New York Times print edition was a April Fools joke - The Dodge Ram was labeled "Toyota Camry," and the car labeled "Chevolet Cobalt" was a Ford Focus, the vehicle with the biggest year-over-year sales gains. They made a reprint of the correct figure today.)
Jeff

The majority of buyers did not buy from one specific manufacturer. None of the automakers at this time have a majority of buyers in each of their lines. That is what happens when you introduce more and more manufacturers into the mix, the market gets split up.
Consider that vehicles are one of the few products expensive enough for any automaker on the planet to have a chance making a profit in selling them to any other location on the planet. Automaking is one of the few things that is truly a global market. The only thing that holds more foreign manufacturers out of the US is lack of experience in building a US supply chain.
Product market percentage is no measure of an automakers success anymore. What matters is profitability. I'm fine with Ford as a profitable company with a small market share. I'm not fine with Ford as a money losing company with a large market share. That does not do the economy in the US any good at all.
Ted
You are free to believe whatever you chose but your sales number for the F150 2007 sales are off arond three zeros, the fact is Ford and GM had over thirty percent of the truck sales in 2007 and Toyota had around five percent. You are correct about GM selling more trucks than Ford, around 125K, but GM has two Brands, Chevrolet and GMC and Ford only one. My reference was to BRAND named Trucks and the F150 was the number seller, and has been for thirty one years. The F Series out sold the Silverado in 2007 by around 83 thousand trucks.
US Department of Commerac figures for 2007 truck sales, by model
Ford F-Series: 698,958 Chevy Silverado: 616,225 Dodge Ram: 359,219 GMC Sierra: 208,283 Toyota Tundra: 191,515 Nissan Titan: 65,264

Mike hunt wrote:

Trouble counting, now, huh? I said about 55,000 F-series, and you quoted about 700,000 F-series trucks. That is one more digit (or zero, as you said), not three.

So? The fact remains that Ford sells fewer pickup trucks than GM. You're also incorrect in that Ford-biult trucks are also sold under under the Mazda, Mercury and Lincoln brands; GM sells trucks under the Cadillac, Pontiac, Buick, Saturn, Hummer brands as well as GMC and Chevy brands.

Mike, my figures are 100% accurate. They were for the month of March, 2008 and were reported in the New York Times and the press releases found on the websites for the manufacturers.

My original message is below. I can see how one who does not understand the car industry would not know that monthly sales figures are released on the first day of the following month (e.g., March sales figures were released on April 1).
I also so that you trimmed my response without indicating that fact, an intellectually dishonest move.
<original response>
[...]
Your figures are fine IF one was referring too one months sales but obviously you were the only one doing so, I was referring to annual sales.
Comparing the sales for one month is like picking the winner of a football game based on the score in one quarter LOL

A good start for them would be to make an Escort diesel again, or maybe a diesel hybrid car (again, based upon the previous Escort). Again, make it in as many confisurations as the previous Escort as well (2DR hatchback, 2DR hatchback GT model, 4DR hatchback, 4DR sedan, wagon).
I mean nobody seems to be making anything to compete with the Prius as of yet. And the current Focus really isn't a suitable replacement for the previous Escort IMO.
Merge with a foreign car company. Move all factories to Mexico and dismantle all the unions.
Robert Blass wrote:

Gee, they did the first with Jaguar, Volvo and Land Rover. Didn't work out too well.
The problem is that they have tons of liabilities to the union members, like pension and health care. It doesn't work that way. Besides, Ford and GM are global companies. They sell tons of cars to Asia, S. American and Europe as well as Africa and the Aussies. In fact, GM and Ford make money overseas, but not much, if an, in the US.
And, you can put a factory on a truck and move it. It doesn't work that way.
Jeff
the following:

Ford and GM spend more on health care benefits than on the steel in their cars. That is a problem. Rebuild the plants in Mexico or China and disband the Unions altogether.
This would cut labor costs 75% from now on and quality would stay high since people overseas would BEG for a job there.
Unions should be against the law anyway.
Better do a bit more research if that is what you believe. The fact is employees of the import brands that are assembling some of the vehicles in the US of mostly imported parts, and get fewer benefits and have less desirable pensions than union workers. If you price their vehicles you will discover they sell for more than union made vehicles of the same size and with the same equipment. How car you blame the unions? As to healthcare, GM no longer spends any money of healthcare, they turned their healthcare plan into a tax free VEBA, run by the UAW ;)
sayd

Greater profits but shoddy workmanship not to mention "lead from China".
the following:

Once the unions bankrupt all the car makers where will those workers get a paycheck?
Build something that is built to hold up at more than 90 percent expected duty... something where the front brake rotors don't warp every 15k miles under normal use.. something were the floor pan of the car is thicker than a budweiser can and does not tear apart during an emergency maneuver, something where the base radio doesn't sound like a tinker toy and the high end radios last 10 years instead of three years before imploding. Let me be able to replace the oil filter on the engine without having to grow an extra opposing joint in my wrist. Build something that doesn't require hours of work to remove the windshield wiper motor, covering, moulding and firewall shrouding to replace an egr transducer. Build a car with a solid automatic transmission that lasts longer than 65k miles. Build a car where the heater core does not fail, or if the heater core fails you do not have to purge and break open the A/C system and remove the entire dashboard from the firewall to replace the heater core. Give me an electrical system that does not fail and cause the cruise control to accelerate on its own when I key up a CB or ham radio. .. an ignition system that does not fail from rfi and emi if I do not use factory spark plug wires. put the wiring harnesses in the car so that engine vibrations do not wear thru the wire insulation. Something that does not require a degree in electrical engineering to replace a blown out dashboard light bulb. Give me headlights that light my path at night and are not just there to look pretty. Give me a factory paint job that won't shed it's clear coat in 6 years. build an engine that doesn't overheat and warp heads like the 3.8 v6 Steve 95 T-Bird LX 4.6
former 85 T-Bird 3.8 67 T-Bird 4 door 390 70 Torino GT 351C 65 Fairlane 289
former keeper of the family fleet of Taurus, Sable, Continental variants.
You certainly are entitled to you own opinion but obviously your opinion is the opinion of a minority of truick buyers. The F150 is currently, and has been, the best selling vehicle in the US for over thirty one years. The Ford pickup trucks outsell all other truck brands, in the case of the Tundra at a rate nearly seven times greater ;)

How does the Ranger series stack up to the F-150 series in sales volume ?
Truck owners don't buy toy trucks. Toy trucks are sold to car buyers that can't afford a real truck

Mike hunt wrote:

That doesn't make sense, considering that the price of Toyota trucks is about the same as Ford trucks.
And, by definition, truck buyers are not car buyers.
However, you're welcome to your opinion not matter how stupid. And considering that Ford's declining truck sales were announced on April Fool's day, your opinion about their sales figures is more appropriate than usual.
jeff