The chief of police cars

Page 2 of 3
Mike hunt wrote:

accommodation except in leg room where the Dodge has 2+ inches MORE. The Ford has a bigger trunk. According to CR the Dodge has higher reliability. And as to "preferred", I don't know what you mean since the Charger scored the highest in the police trials. As to sales numbers, I don't know what year you're quoting, but here in NJ, it seems ALL the new police cars are Chargers in the local towns. I don't know if the State Police have ordered any, but in locals they're appearing like locusts.
Tony D. wrote:

how can you talk reliability from a family car that runs short intervals to a cop car that is probably on the road 16 hours a day driving???
My grandmother has a 1993 grand marquis that in the first two years the battery went from not driving it for a whole winter, and around the same time the exhaust rusted out from not driving it, and just recently a brake line rotted.... i'm sure the two tires shes put on it since new don't compare to likely 6-8 sets of tires on a cop car over a 2 year life span...
i just can't see how CR would say it it more "reliable"
and WTF is reliable anyway???
I saw a comparison of police cars on discovery channel... they had 3 cars, the C-V, a Volvo, and another car representing another country... the volvo won in the police obstical course challenge...
That may be your opinion but perhaps you should take a look inside of a Charger with the partition installed and you will understand why police department do not like the car.
The sales figures do not lie, eight out of ten certified police cars sold in the US are Interceptors
My former company serviced thousands of police cars in six eastern states. When it comes to reliability, fleet maintenance records tell the story of why police departments prefer the Interceptor

Mike hunt wrote:

I'm not doubting that in the least, and every time i drive by the ford lot here with new interceptors on it, i wish they'd let me roll in and buy one.
I've owned 2 crown victorias myself and can't say a bad word about them.
You can buy one. Ask to see the Fleet Sales Manager. You just will not get the $800 fleet discount

You have all been missing a major point. The police departments are not buying Crown Vics. The unions are boycotting them. The police (and limo version) have a habit of catching on fire when rear ended at more than 70 MPH. Even with Ford denying it, they lost when they came out with the retrofit modification for them. Since then, the police depts have not been buying them. The police depts also don't want to buy Chevys since Chevy lost the court battle for their brakes failing after being in high speed chases. What is left?
bullshit!! the crown vic is the largest selling police car. no unions here are boycotting them, and most of the cops here have already said they will not drive anything but the crown vic. the fleet versions DO NOT have any more of a habit of catching fire in a rear end collision than any other car, and are safer than most other cars in a rear end collision. .
we have a charger that was confiscated from a drug dealer. it was painted up as a patrol car, and it is a piece of shit. it sits in the parking lot, cause no one wants to drive it.

Do a search for "Crown victoria police fire rear ended". I came up with over 20,000 articles. About 30 people have died since 1981 when the first office in Michigan first went up. The police/limo version (CVPI) has a different suspension and it collapes into the gas tank when rear ended in excess of 70 MPH. The state highway unions have been saying it for years. The end was suppose to happen when Ford admited to knowing the "fuel bladder" were known to split when hit, came out with a TSB in Oct 2001, paid off the lawsuits, and came out with a retro fit for them which puts a plate between the axle and the gas tank. However even with the retrofit, they have still caught fire.
origdirtyoldman wrote:

what do the police officers want to drive... honda civics?

I like it when the fuzz keep using Crown Vics simply because my eyes are trained to spot them off in the distance. I rarely exceed the speed limit by 10 MPH but I like to know when one is present.

That's one reason why the Massachusetts State Police are so keen on their new fleet of Chargers...
/daytripper (retuning the ol' eyeball for Mopar Cop Cars ;-)
Ford even has a video on their OWN web site that shows Vics catching on fire when rear ended. https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/CVPI/FireSuppression.asp and click on Fire Suppression Test Video
Some other links:
http://www.crownvictoriasafetyalert.com/timeline.html
Pics of a CVPI that caught fire after the shield was installed.
http://www.crownvictoriasafetyalert.com/PDF/update_to_ford.pdf
Or this one where Illinois courts rulled that Ford faked their rear end crash test.
http://www.crownvictoriasafetyalert.com/PDF/ford_sanctioned.pdf
Oh by the way, how many of you know that Ford announced and DOES block sale of the CVPI to cities/states who have sued them or has taken action against CVPIs. (No more CVPIs to New York, Arizonia, Illinois.)

You are a moron. If you *read* the page you are citing: "This video is of a Fire Suppression System test conducted in March 2004. The system was activated by a fixed time trigger, not cessation of vehicle motion. There was no leak of fuel from the vehicle and no punctures of the fuel tank. Fuel for the fire, as well as the ignition source, were deliberately introduced as described in the Robust Test Procedure section."
Ford *made* the car catch fire to show how the fire suppression system works. Grab a clue before opening your mouth next time.
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 09:37:58 -0800 (PST), origdirtyoldman

I am hardly a Ford Apologist, but you're full of it here - Name me all the production large automobiles on the market today that can take a 70-MPH rear impact without catching on fire and/or the occupants being killed or seriously hurt from the impact. Use as much blank space as necessary for your answer...
You could build a specialized car for Law Enforcement work that would meet all the criteria you could think of in speed and handling, durability and crashworthiness - but it would be very expensive and very uncomfortable for cops with all their gear on to drive - they're wearing their flak vests 24/7 if they;re smart.
Have to start with a full Nascar roll cage chassis with door beams and a bladder fuel cell. Racing bucket seats, welded shut doors - yeah, I can see Sheriff Buford T, Justice climbing in and out the window 20 times a day... Hi-Po engine that lopes at idle, race-built tranny that shifts rock hard, full race brakes, fire bottle system.
No AM/FM radio or air conditioning, or fiberglass prisoner-ready back seat conversion (or even a back seat at all) that's too much weight.
And the rank and file officers drive what the're given, or they quit and go to work for another department. I can see why they would avoid a certain car make or model, but when everything else is already out on patrol or out of service, you drive it.
--<< Bruce >>--

front of the firewall. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiricy Web Site: www.destarr.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mike hunt wrote:

for years, the Ford will have greater numbers in the field. But ANY business publication reports the same thing: The Charger has been gaining market share STEADILY and the Ford has been losing market share STEADILY for the last 2 years. None of the companies publish police sales however, so the actual numbers are not known. Overall for last year Chargers were up 2% and Fords down 8%.
Picasso wrote:

about a "police car". They are "family cars" with specific options like light bar wiring, heavy duty cooling and alternators, etc. You can buy a police package for your own use. Reliable means XX people said something broke. If another vehicle has XX-10 people that said something broke, it is more "reliable" than the first.

Who really cares if there's not much back seat room? The dirt bag who just got arrested for beating his wife or for holding up a corner store or whatever doesn't deserve to be too comfortable.
Even if what you believe were true, the lack of room and the poor reliability record for the Dodge are two of the reason few departments chose the dodge over the Interceptor or the Impala for that mater