The Drive-a-Toyota Act

Page 13 of 16
"George Orwell" ...

He is a Troll.

Since the thread's not dead, we might as well revisit the original premise; essentially that Congress is telling America to buy a Toyota.
That's not the case. All Detroit has to do is build a decent small car with good fuel economy. This is something that they should have started doing 30 years ago, without pressure from Congress. How many oil price shocks have we had? What's the long-term trend? Rather than build a decent small car with good fuel economy, Detroit essentially gave up the entry end of the market to the Japanese.
Detroit shot themselves in the collective foot in two ways; first, they lost all small car market- and mind-share. Second, people who started out in economical small cars from Japan and found them to be reliable and, worse, reasonably nice and started moving up into bigger, nicer Japanese cars instead of switching to back to Detroit iron.

That may be your opinion but more Americans still prefer domestics over imports and GM still sells more cars, SUVs and trucks than any import in the US. Fuel economy is not the primary reason most buyers buy the vehicles they buy. Even those that do buy imports, buy more of their larger safer cars, SUVs and trucks than their more fuel efficient small and midget cars..
When it come to quality every manufacturer is building high quality vehicles today, if one looks at the various survey of new car and truck buyers. One need not pay 20% or 30% extra to buy an import to get a good vehicle. If you believe everybody that bought an import was happy with their purchase, you have not noticed all of the import brands that are being traded on late model domestics. Check the domestic used cars lots a see for yourself
mike

Ya right. LOL
mike

Here is a comparison for two of the largest dealers in my area -
Capital Ford - 52 Toyotas, 59 Hondas Fred Anderson Toyota of Raleigh - 11 Chevrolets, 7 Fords
Does that prove anything?
Ed

Out of 2,279 vehicles - about 5%

Out of 115 vehicles. - about 12%

Other than "mike hunter" is full of crap?
You tell me.

dh wrote:

Do the used cars on the lot only come from the trade-ins? Or does the used car people buy additional used cars at auction or from other sources?
Jeff
A new car dealer that is selling his monthly quota never needs to by used cars, he need to sell his trades, but some slower dealers do. But NO new car dealer worth his salt will buy cars from any source except at his own brand(s) auctions and even then they are generally current year models.
New car dealers need to get ride of the cars they traded to finally make money on the new car sale. That is why sales commissions are greater on used cars than new. New cars cost floor plan interest but new cars do not depreciate sitting on the lot. On the other hand, used cars that depreciate cost interest and looses capital that could used to buy more new cars.
When I was in retail the partners never wanted me to keep trades long than three months, max, in any of our brand(s) stores.. If the cars were rough or seven years old, they went directly to the wholesalers, unless they were low mileage cars.
mike

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 22:12:23 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

from lot to lot. If a dealer principal owned more than one dealership he'd move trade-ins to the dealership with the most traffic for THAT particular car.
If he didn't own more than one dealership, cars were often traded between dealers. A ford dealer took in a Celica on trade for a Mustang. The Toyota dealer took in a lincoln on trade for a cressida. The ford dealer got the lincoln, and the Toyota dealer got the Celica.
That kind of "horse trading"

That's correct, one can always get more for the brand they sell, than "foreign" brands. That makes it even more obvious when so many import and "foreign" cars are seen on domestic lots, that sell other brands, than the one traded. Not every Toyota, or any brand, buyer is always happy with their purchase and will trade on an other brand for numerous reasons
mike
<clare at snyder.on.ca> wrote in message wrote in message news:cDpli.17055

Mike Hunter wrote:

The funny thing is that the brand with the highest brand loyalty is Toyota.
<http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/19/Autos/loyalty/index.htm <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/25/AR2006032500112.html
Jeff

You're welcome to believe whatever you like.
http://www.intellichoice.com/carBuying101/HowDealershipsWork
Mike Hunter wrote:

wrote in message news:cDpli.17055

Anyway, the answer to "Do American buyer[s] really want to Drive a small Toyota?" is "Yes, which is why Toyota is making money, when GM, Ford and Chrysler are not."

Are you really that slow? You would do yourself a favor if you did some research before you choose to comment on subject of which you obviously have little or no knowledge. Perhaps then you posts would not seem so foolish so often
ANY dealer. of any brand, that only sells six new cars a month is not worth his salt. He must buy used cars, if he is to have any CARS to sell
The group I worked for sold an average of over 500 new cars a month in our 26 multi franchised stores in six states. The partners bought up dealerships, in the surrounding areas that could not sell cars, and shut them down to eliminate competition
You must not know the 2008 models are out, the current year models from the manufacturer are used 2007 company cars, dummy.
Toyotas best selling car is a midsize car, NOT a small car and certainly not one of their midget cars. As I said, even Toyota buyer prefer their larger safer cars, SUVs and trucks LOL
mike
wrote in message news:cDpli.17055

wrote in message news:cDpli.17055

dh wrote: