The Drive-a-Toyota Act

Page 7 of 16
wrote:

I put the traditional CVT on par with the traditional fluid drive automatic transmission with respect to complexity and number of failure points, as well as its proclivity to fail.
The Toyota PSD is way, way, way, WAY different.
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" ...

Yep, agree with all of this. These new transmissions are indeed transmissions in that they transmit power from the power source(s) to the wheels. We are just now getting used to the all new stuff that we never had to consider in production cars before. Sure is fun. Tomes
On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 15:17:56 UTC, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

it and it is bulletproof! That was perhaps the best transmission produced.

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"

One single datum point does not prove anything.
Modern fluid drive automatic transmissions, especially from the likes of Chrysler, are junk waiting to burst into pieces at any moment.
Even Honda can't get them right.
Is your last name O'Shaughnessy, by chance? At VA Tech, there is a dormitory named O'Shaughnessy - everyone has always called it O'Shagnasty. Oh those crazy college kids!
On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 22:02:54 UTC, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

Do you know what "Fluid Drive" is? It was used from 1939-1954. Using the clutch to go from one range to the next, you have a foolproof transmission. Mine does not leak, shifts perfectly, and is a tribute to simplicity for 67 years. Not to burst your bubble on Chrysler transmissions, but my 1970 Dart with TorqueFlite never developed one "datum" of trouble.
--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"

Not to burst your bubble on Chrysler transmissions, but my father's 77 LeBaron's transmission dropped out of the car, on the freeway, at speed, when the car was a couple years old. Chrysler denied any problems and refused to fix it.
They were practicing for denying any responsibility for the K-car electrical systems, particularly in the coupes (Shelby, anyone?).
Chrysler can kiss my ass.

You keep mentioning Honda's failures as if that is somehow meaningful. The rest of the industry has been buidling reliable automatic tansmissions for decades. Perhaps you have not been around long enough to understand that. Or perhaps you're simply enamored by Toyota's products.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

UGH! I and many others could tell you otherwise, but you wouldn't learn.

Quite correct - I and the rest of the world would not "learn" what you would like to tell. We prefer to acknowledge what the evidence of real world fact dictates.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Not from a performance and efficiency standpoint.

fluid change. It is not bad off the mark, but with the technology of the day, it was pretty good. I get about 21 mpg with it and the 108hp six. Remember, back in 1940, cars were more sedate in their acceleration.
--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"

"Elmo ...

assist to the gas engine, and has much less of an effect in the more steady state of a flat 50 MPH cruise. Actually, if flat, one can use the electric a bit with a bit of foot tricks, and not lose speed. Tomes

It's nonsense because with minor mods the car can be driven 15+ miles on a full charge of battery, without firing the engine up.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Bingo Bingo Bingo
Jeff wrote:

<http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/hybrid-batteries-none-the-worse-for-wear-cga.htm

So when someone comes along who knows the technology and is skeptical when that is bounced against an auto maker's "word" that contradicts what is known about the technology, then that person is labeled a "know-it-all". I guess that's one way to win an argument. Not honest, but it is one way.
I didn't say the deep charge is a given - I threw that in as extra information for a battrery abuse situation. Certainly - go by the 800 to 100 cycles. See how far down the road that gets you.
"Life of the car" defined as, what - 100k miles? 150k miles. No one trusts auto manufcturers when they make promises like that - except when they want to to support a politically-based claim.
IF they want to warranty it like that, then they should. If they really mean it, then why don't they warranty it like that? Or do they know the real statisitics that say they'd lose money like crazy if they did. If they really believed that, they at least should give lifetime battery warranty until their statement can be proven after a number of years and the public's confidence can, from real-wold proof, substitute for a car maker's say-so. I *never* make a decision based on "the check's in the mail" type commitments from automakers. Been burned too many times to do that.
Party on, Garth!
You know - I find it particularly and disgustingly dishonest for a person to ask me specifically why I don't give some authoritative information (in this case on NiMH battery life), and then when I do exactly that, that same individual says I (therefore) am a know-it-all and that his part in the discussion is essentially over.
I think I just won the war on that one.
Ah - liberal tactics and dishonesty - ain't they great!?

I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention: what authoritative information did you give?
And what authoritative sources did you cite?
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

More dishonest tactics. The jig is up.

WTF are you talking about?
I asked you an honest question. Do you have an honest answer?