The new Dodge Charger cop car

Page 2 of 2

Where do you live? Seriously.

bwhahahaha
hurc ast

Didn't think you'd have the guts. Thanks for proving it.
Brad
We see them by the thousands, in our fleet service business, with more than 160K or even 260K. 60K is nothing to a CV, most have more miles than that in less than a year. Nobody really cares about your personal opinion, your disdain for Ford is well documented in this NG. Your statements regarding the people in law enforcement says much about you, as well LOL
mike hunt
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:51:23 -0500, Chris Nagorka wrote:

340 HP might be useful for a "high-speed patrol" unit as many large cities have started, but I think the standard CV PI will remain on top overall. Ford has a lot of options for increasing power if the Charger threatens market share.
Rodney
-

What's the top speed of this thing anyway? Are we to assume it's faster than the CV just because it has a 160 speedo? It's top speed may be no different than the CV, but getting there will be faster.
Even small towns can benefit from this by being able to catch up to speeders faster and getting around slow traffic a little quicker. Power is good as long as you know how to use it.

They've had options forever and a day, but have refused to take action on it. They have been very lax with the CV in total. It hasn't changed since 98.....that's rather pathetic. Sure, there have been small tweaks here and there, but no styling or mechanical changes in 7, soon to be 8, years.
Change can be a good thing and if Chrysler is serious about getting back to their roots in the police market, they will probably surpass Ford with little effort.
Mark wrote:

The PI engine - Product-Improved - not Police Interceptor, in 2001 was a somewhat significant change. The other would have to be that the 2003-up CV/GM now has speed sensitive rack-&-pinion steering and hydroformed frame.
Tweaks & revisions are almost continual, but why mess too much w/ success? If the RWD Caprice & Impala were still being built, they would have likely followed similar gradual developement.
If you want to go w/ just "tweaks & revisions", you could almost say the CV hasn't changed since fall, 1978!
Rob

I just don't consider either of those changes "significant". I don't think anyone does.

You're right. We should all be still driving Model T's by this logic. That was a hell of a car....

Come on. You don't seriously believe that, do you? 91 to 92 alone was a completely new vehicle.
1990 Crown Victoria
Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 3978 Wheelbase (in.) 114.30 Length (in.) 215.70 Width (in.) 79.30 Height (in.) 56.50 Track Front (in.) 62.8 Track Rear (in.) 63.3
1992 Crown Victoria
Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 3748 Wheelbase (in.) 114.40 Length (in.) 212.40 Width (in.) 77.80 Height (in.) 56.70 Track Front (in.) 62.80 Track Rear (in.) 63.30
A 1992 Crown Victoria may have looked "all new" but except for the engine, the basic chassis and drive train was little changed from 1978. My Mother has owned a series of full size Ford products over the years (1957, 1969, 1972, 1978, 1985, 1992, 2000). The body and engine may have changed in 1992, but if you flip one over, it will look very much like a 1978.
Ed
Mark wrote:

Hogwash, there is almost nothing in common between the 2005 and the 1978 CV, even the frame is different. Just bout everything has been changed incrementally over the years, the only thing they have in common any more is the firewall and front floor pan, get real.
mike hunt
"C. E. White" wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

I didn't say they were the exact same part numbers, but the basic layout and design concepts (suspension geometry, engine position, basic drivetrain except for the engine) is the same. Is a 2005 CV a better car than a 1990 CV - yes. Is it "tecnologically" a lot different - No. At no point in the last 25 years could you point to a model year where there was radical change (like between a 1985 Farimont and a 1986 Taurus). The biggest delta in the last 25 was the 1992 model year - new look, new engine, dropped the wagon, but the basic underpinnings except for the engine were very similar (if not identical). Since 1960 I think you can look at big Fords as having had major shifts in design in 1965, 1972, 1978, and.......
Ed

Make that the entire drivetrain.
I'm sorry, but keeping frame and suspension measurements the same does not mean the car hasn't changed.
Mark wrote:

Rear axle? Transmission? The only part of the drivetrain that was "new" was the engine (yeah, I know the transisison had to have a different bellhousing for the mod engine).

The basic suspension geometry didn't cahnge, the type of parts didn't change, etc. To me, "all new" is more than just new sheet metal and rolling a few part numbers.
The current CVs are good cars, but they are just a refreshed version of a 26 year old design (1979 to present). I have no doubt that virtually every part has been refined in the last 25 years, but refining is not replacing.
Ed
C. E. White wrote:

Which is why they are relatively inexpensive & trouble-free. There were a couple years, I think twice, the C/V actually went down in price. I think once was at the sheet metal & Watts linkage change - 1998. The other was like 93 going to the 94 model or in that area.
Rob