'They're throwing us to the curb'-Lee Iacocca

How come it is generally more expensive, at the pump, than premium gasoline?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Nitrogen is the most common element in the atmosphere. It makes up, according to _Am_I_Smarter_Than_A_Fifth_Grader_ on TV, about 3/4 of the atmosphere. Nitrogen makes up about 78% of the atmosphere, oxygen makes up about 21% and CO2 about 0.3 or 0.4%.

In the visible universe, though, including stars, the galaxies, the planets, and the gas that is out there between the stars, most of it is hydrogen. The sun turns hydrogen into helium (nuclear fusion). It has far more hydrogen than helium. Jupiter, the largest plant, as well the three outermost planets (Uranus, Saturn and Neptune) are made of mostly hydrogen.

So, most of the visible mass is made of hydrogren (75% by mass, about 90% by # of atoms

(There is something called dark matter - no one knows what that is; that's why I said visible universe.)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

It's within about 4 per cent of the average price of gasoline. About half the difference is taxes (17% of the cost of diesel is taxes vs. 15% for gasoline).

Obviously, market forces are also part of the pricing.

So more energy, similar price.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I guess the fuel tax amounts depend on which state one is located. The federal tax is 18.5c and the state tax can be as high 41c Where I live regular gas is $2.49, premium $2.69 and diesel is $2.99 ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

A bow to you greater out of this world knowledge, but do we want to go that far for nitrogen? That does not leave much room for neon, argon, estrogen etc does it ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

It also depends on market forces. I think it takes less crude oil to make a gallon of diesel. But, the oil companies will use whatever excuse they can to hike up the price diesel, too.

I believe Rendell, the governor of PA, is asking the federal government to investigate the pricing of gasoline.

It may very well be that the oil companies had to switch their refineries over to making more gasoline. Besides, that gives them an excuse to raise deisel prices.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Although estrogen is not an element, you will find it in the bodies of men and women everywhere. The only estrogen that's not on earth, AFAIK, is found on board the space station.

Neon, argon and the other elements are found in smaller quantities throughout the universe. Neon and argon are found in the atmosphere in trace amounts, as are methane, ozone, unborned hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, dihydrogen monoxide and other gases. There's plenty of room for these other gases. There just aren't much of them on earth or in the universe (in relation to hydrogen and helium, the second most common element).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Get real, motor fuels are one of the most competitive products the consume uses. If the oil companies could control the price at the pump the price would never go down. When you buy fuel witch station do you patronize, the one that is 2c higher?

The Congress has invested the cost of fuel dozens of times. Have you ever searched the Congressional Record for the results of those hearings? If you did you would discover the results are always the same. The price changes are driven by supply and demand.

The folks that set the price of crude are the commodities buyers.

As to Rendell the ONLY thing he has done since taking office has been raise taxes on his constituency, the working man. He raised the gas tax 5c and gave 80% of the money to Philadelphia. The nest thing he did was raise the personal income tax 30%, just a few years after Governor Ridge lower the tax. He is currently trying to add another 30c tax on fuel. He also wants an 'excess' profits tax on the oil companies, whose profit margin is LOWER than Wal-Mart. I doubt the Legislature will be that stupid, since it will imply raise the cost of fuel

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Estrogen is not an element, YA THINK? You are so easy ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter