throttle control failure in 2005 expy

I had a very weird occurrence today in my 2005 Expedition with the 5.4L. I was driving around in Dallas and all of a sudden lost throttle response. I also got a message "throttle control failure" in my message box. I killed the engine, restarted it and got throttle control back. But now my check engine light is showing. I then continued my trip to Houston without event (but with a little worry). I have 78K miles on my expy and I got 18 mpg on the way home (about average for 70+ mph).

Does anyone know what happened and how serious it is ? I plan to visit my local repair guys (non-dealer) if the check engine light does not reset in a couple of days.

Thanks, Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

This likely isn't the kind of problem that you want to leave to chance. It may be something simple (even as simple as an improperly installed air filter) ir it could be something more complex. There will be DTCs stored in the computer to assist your tech.

There were at least two technical service bulletins that dealt with electronic throttle control concerns as well..

HTH.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Can the independent guys work with TSB's ? My dealer's service department is incompetent.

Thanks, Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

Find a different dealer!

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Yes... independant shops have access to TSBs... but there are a couple of disclaimers...

First, the shop needs to be willing to spend money for adequate documentation. There are a LOT of small shops that try to work with no manuals - no factory bulletins and only OTJ (on the job training). You cannot do that with any amount of success on todays complex cars. Second, the list will generally be a little behind the dealers access as aftermarket subscription updates would likely only happen quarterly.

As Ed mentioned... find a different dealer... as a dealership tech, I get to use the finest Ford dedicated scan tool available... BAR NONE. I have access to the latest manuals and documentation... nobody has anything more current... I have access to the factory hotline, a group of engineers that have areas of specialty that can assist with difficult diagnosis or act as a sounding board.

Occasionally, a customers frustrations (due to having a new car that SHOULDN'T have problems) over car problems can bubble over and have that customer become....... contrary... Occasionally, a customer will walk into a dealer service department with unjustified animosity.

What would make a dealer tech so much worse than an independant shops tech? The better training? The more advanced tools?

Reply to
Jim Warman

The fact that they could not fix my brakes on my 2005 Expy. I took my expy to Helfman Ford for a normal brake job. I left there with a brake pedal that went to the floor. I complained and they said "Oh, that's normal nowadays". I then took my expy to Midas who told me that my brake system had air in it and that my discs were very roughly ground (you could see the grooves in the discs). Midas bled my system and I had them put new discs on it. Life is much better, not perfect though.

So, would you frequent this dealership's service department ?

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

And my check engine light cleared today without any investigation.

Makes me wonder if it is going to strand me beside the road someday soon.

Thanks, Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

Sadly the tools and equipment - and even the training, don't make the man. There are incompetents in any trade, at any level. Some dealerships breed incompetence, some reward it, and others attract it. Some dealers will not pay a competent man fairly, will not treat him fairly, will not allow him to avail himself of the available training, etc. etc. etc. So they end up with a bunch of incompetent mechanics working under an incompetent service manager, for a dealer principal who really doesn't give a rip, as long as he's making money. He is so short sighted today's gain is what counts, regardless what it might cost him tomorrow. THAT is what, to a large degree, has put the american manufacturers in the position they are in, sales-wise.

Reply to
clare

Quite possibly the evap code - from a loose gas cap that has since been closed tightly. Did you ever get a code pulled??

Reply to
clare

Absolutely not.... But that doesn't mean I wouldn't go to a different dealer.

I don't work at Helfman Ford... My job at the dealer I do work at is to make sure that you dfon't have that kind of experence... ever... but if something sneaks through the system, my other job is to stop it in it's tracks.

There are good stores and there are bad stores... everywhere.

Your bad experiences (and the good ones) are built by people just like you and me...

FWIW... I offered you good advice and you are returning??????

Reply to
Jim Warman