Thrumming sound from 89 Sable rear wheels

I am having trouble isolating the source of a low-pitched "thrumming" sound coming from the rear wheels of my 1989 Sable. The frequency of the sound is proportional to wheel rotation speed. Because one of the
rear wheels was out of alignment, I replaced the tire on that wheel, but the sound is still there. The only other clue I have is that the sound gets louder when cornering. Is this a bearing problem? Could the other wheel/tire be at fault? What should I check next?
I suspect if you'll inspect the tire you didn't replace, you'll find it to be kind of "choppy" around one edge or the other or both. This is typical of non driving tires that don't steer. Run your hand around the suspect tire and see if I'm not right. My Saturn does the same thing when they get choppy and it sounds just like a dry bearing and gets worse when you corner one way and goes away when you corner the other way.
--
Steve
=========

You'll be able to feel it and see it. Moving them to the front can possibly help. Moving them to the trash is better.
See "cupping" in this example:
http://www.graphic-exposure.com/tirewear.htm
--
Steve Barker

=========

I had the same problem with my 89 Taurus. This past week, it turned into a throbbing "thrumming" that vibrated with each throb. I replaced both rear tires this morning, and it runs like a limo - smooth and quiet. Peace at last!
Bill