thunderbird

I would like to know if anybody has a bird with the 3.9 liter engine mine starts in the morning and ideals at 2000 rpms it sound like it is going to blow up.I have had it to Ford and they say it is normal I don't think so and I told them as you can see it did me no good!!!!!!!!!! HELP Pete

Reply to
PETE

What year bird is this? Not familiar with the 3.9

WCV

Over 10,000 vintage car t-shirts!

Reply to
WCV

My 2004 Thunderbird does not do that. How long does it idle at 2000 rpm? My old Saturn Vue did a weird thing first thing in the morning - when you started it, the idle speed imeadiately jumped up to around 2000 rpm and then fell back to a much lower idle speed. The owners manual even warned you about this behavior. Anything in your owner's manual? The only idle speed specification I can find says the hot idle should be 600-700 rpm. Nothing about cold idle speed. My Thunderbird has a "fly by wire" throttle (throttle plate is moved by a stepper motor, not by a cable). Is yours like that? Not sure when they started using those on the 3.9L engines.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White