Ticking under the hood of my 2000 Ford Taurus

I have a 2000 Ford Taurus SE with 111000 miles on it. This evening I started it at 10:30 for a quick run into town. I immediately noticed a ticking sound originating under the engine, originating closer to the
front of the engine. This ticking increased in time with an increase in the RPMs as I gave the engine a little gas. It was not noticeable during driving after teh initial acceleration, but returned as I slowed and stopped.
Any ideas on where I shoudl start looking for the problem?
Automotively untrained...
Big concern I have here is that I need it for work for the week and can get it looked at professionally after friday. Should I be worried about some catestrophic failure in the mean time?
ErichH wrote:

Serpentine belt is coming apart? Check the belt & tensioner.
Rob
Serpentine belt is fine. tensioner is fine.
Serpentine belt is fine. tensioner is fine. thanks

How is your oil? What is the level? When was the last change? How was the car maintained, regular oil changes every 3k or 5k, or was it always gas-n-go?
Could be starvation in the ticking head, most likely valve train. I've seen this before and have never had it become a catostrophic failure, but afterwards I always made sure the oil was good.
Oile change was two weeks ago. I change it out every 3000 miles. I had a friend recommend it might be a failure in the bearings in my water pump. Thoughts?
Remove the belt and see if its still there

Oile change was two weeks ago. I change it out every 3000 miles. I had a friend recommend it might be a failure in the bearings in my water pump. Thoughts?

What engine is it?
If it's the 3.0 Vulcan OHV, it may well be the water pump
What oil do you use... .. if you use a 'famous' keystone oil, that may also be your problem.
you pay..DEAL with it!
If this sound is mechanical and your hearing many ticks it sounds like it's the hydraulic lifters. They open and close your intake and exaust valves. They will weaken in time but it will not be a problem unless the ticks are very loud. If they become very loud they will cause misfires in certain cylinders. Light ticking is somewhat normal I certainly would not spend money on it unless your engine is misfiring or your gas mileage has gone south.
Gerald

It's only normal to those that use highly advertised dino oils! And/or doesnt change often enough.
Anyone who uses Mobil 1 and has 'valve ticking' better investigate soon.
you pay..DEAL with it!
BackYard,
I'm not sure how long you have been using Mobil 1 but I have been using the oil since 1980 in all my cars. 254K on my 1994 Ford Taurus now. Yes it is far better than Dino oil but you are still going to get some wear. A slight tick is not bad, a loud tick is a much different matter. I have a slight tick but I can tell it is not on all the lobs of the cam. Agreed Mobil 1 is the way to go or another brand of Non mineral based oils. Minerals unfortunatly put what is know as Shalack <Pardon the Spelling) all over the engine. Minerals are bad for the engine or any other mechanical machine. I use syth oil in everything, Not Mobil one for other apps. Mobil 1 being a "plastic oil" has lost most of the harmful effects of the "Earth".
Slight ticking sound? Change to Mobil 1 or another Syth motor oil and relax... Big ticking sound, Investigate.
Say for an old Krusty Geezer.... Didn't think you would plurge for Mobil 1?
Gerald
P.S. Backyard... I really love most of you posts! Thanks!
Gerald

Well, I been using it since 90 when I bought my SVO turbo.
I've had numerous 2.3L and v-6's and some had a little tick when I bought em, none did after about 10,000 miles with mobil 1. But that's just me.
Son got a Probe 2.0 which had no tick then, but after about 5 oil changes at JiffyLube, now does have a pretty bad one. He's now got about 5,000 on a Mobil 1 fill and it's getting better but still has some to go.
Uh.. I also hate carburetors, love EFI.. just because you're in your sixties doesnt mean you turn reactionary reprobate!
Still hate hip-hop and grunge rock, though.
Otherwise, thanks!
you pay..DEAL with it!
I wonder how many more of us old f*rts are on this NG? ------------------------------------------------------------------------ My body is like a coiled spring! After 65 years, it's taken a bit of a set!
Steve R.

Uh.. I also hate carburetors, love EFI.. just because you're in your sixties doesnt mean you turn reactionary reprobate!
Big Smile!
Well in 1974 my first work on a Truck was to replace my fathers front shock on a F250... I had No clue at all just learning. Monroe was the name at the time an still is... As I remember it went ok. Not sure my father cared much other then I was trying to learn something which was a good thing. I talked him into compounding the truck... Thanks God they put allot of paint on at that time! Turned out nice with a little see through in spots. Waxed it up and it was not bad. Had a 360. The tie rod broke in that truck one day, was interesting, didn't know what it meant at the time but soon after I learned. The rear end also failed and I learned from that episode (Gear and Pinion). Carburators... Smile... Glad to see them gone and glad to see most companies make sure they work right for the life of the car or truck. More stories to come,,, A good part of the forum I think...
Gerald
ErichH wrote:

against the housing and makes noise. Usually, they start to weep and leak around the pump when this happens.
Also, make sure your motor mounts are intact.
Bob
-