Timing Belt Tension

I am needing some input from anyone who has ever replaced a timing belt on a Ford Ranger 2.3 litre engine. Though the tensioner has a torsion spring,
it appears it is necessary to boost the tension a bit more while restraining the cam sprocket and rotating the crank a few more degrees in order to get all the marks to line up. Then tighten down the tensioner plate. I did this and the motor ran more responsive than it was under only the spring tension where the cam mark was a bit early in relation to other marks. My concern is how tight is too tight?? Will the belt stretch to a more desireable lenght with use??

I dont know why the marks didnt line up, I've done about 4 or 5 on my cars... but I ALWAYS pushed the tensioner plate a little more to get a tighter belt, before tightening.
So dont worry about it.
you pay..DEAL with it!

It would be difficult to overtighten it unless you really go nuts with a long pry bar. You would have to work at it. The spring by itself will not exert enough tension. Use a prybar. The belt should be installed with the side opposite the tensioner pulled as tight as you can get it and any needed slack initially on the tensioner side so the tensioner will tighten it up properly.