Timing set question V-6 2.9 L

I have a 88 Ford Merkur Scorpio that needs I think ignition timing. I cannot find nor see the notch (with my timing light blink) on the bottom wheel usualy refered to for timing.
Is it possible that it is so far off in the timing that the notch is under the wheel ?
Thank for helping me out as I am not a mechanic but interrested in doing my car's upkeep ! J-P.
ArtBust opined in

First make sure you have the spout connector out... it's in the harness to the ignition module...
If the mark doesnt show up now near the scale, run some medium grit sand paper or steel wool around the pulley (or damper)
Thanks Backyard mechanic for your infos. I have found the notch by using like you said medium grit sandpaper paper on the lower timing pully, I'm right on the scale now, its make a big difference !. J-P.
--
" N'a de conviction que celui qui n'a rien approfondi."
(Emil Michel Cioran)

Hmmm... took long enuff!!!
Good to know it's fixed, though.