Tip: Charlatans, quacks and kicking your advisors in the Crotch!

"Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew exactly where the brake light switch is on {my car} and is it hard to change on my own without buying the mechanic a new house?"

..is a sure fire way to alienate those who might contribute to solving your problem, as evidenced by the string of replies in the thread of a recent post.

Of course the writer didnt realize there would be several pro technicians on the newsgroup. He, no doubt, assumes anyone reading his request for help would be a civilian, like himself.

Well, some of us are civilians.. who might even have started on here for the same reasons that the writer makes that statement. I know I did.

But it wasnt long before I ran across the obvious... Some of these guys on here are in the trade and they DO CARE about imparting their wisdom to help folks out.

And guess, what! Those guys who are looking to rip you off probably ARENT on here...{not if we can get to their ISP's, anyway ;) } so dont try to make your point about rip-artists here.

So a big HATS-OFF to those who have done, and continue to, contribute to our Shade-tree knowledge.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

This might explain part of it....

Jim Warman

I would like to add my thanks for all the times these guys have so unselfishly helped me with advice.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

I know I am thankful for this group. Way to go, folks!

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

That about sums it up

And what if the guy goes and pursuit another career ???

Who is gonna take his place........

Right, the guy from pepboys who told you you needed O2 sensors to fix that lean code Or the guy thats was waiting on the corner of home depot every morning.

Ofcourse iam not saying all pepboy techs are bad

So next time think before you gonna make a remark about not wanna pay the mechanics mortgage.

JohanB

Reply to
johanb

Backyard Mechanic wrote: A really good rant.

C'mon Backyard. I can spot a suc...a paying customer a mile away. I live to rip off single mothers and old ladies, they are such easy targets. I've made it my lifes study on how to rig someones car to break again in 3 days so I can take more of their money. How do you think I pay for my boat, Mercedes and summer home in Aruba..................Well, now I have to go put a radiator in my 22 year old car then go fill the 'script for my Arthritis medicine

Reply to
Tom Adkins

of course not... how can they be bad if they don't even know what a carb is but can read so they can still look up a part number in The Big Book LOL : 0 ) (But it's not just there... I've had that experience at a dealers parts window, Wally World, and any number of places, and not all of them have anything to do with cars. When the kid tells you that this mountain bike is better than that one because the knobbys on the tires are bigger......

Reply to
Spike

Hats off to Backyard Mechanic, Jim Warman and the other guys in the trade who contribute their time and wisdom for free to all of us!

That said, I simply never get to meet you, guys. You stay hidden in your service bays, while on my (admittedly very rare) visits to the dealership's service department, the only person I see is the 'service advisor'. These people presumably get hired for their interpersonal skills, not for knowing anything about cars, though I don't understand it. Frankly, they vary from rude to obnoxious and none of them ever answered any technical question that I asked.

The only competent, helpful mechanics that I ever met were either an independent one-man operation, or employed by an independent. I admire John, the A/C shop owner, who diagnosed the leak in my system, gave me a set of O-rings and a jar of esther oil and refused payment. "You will come to me for a recharge when you are done fixing it" he said (and then charged me less than the going rate for the R12). Or the guy at the small transmission shop who, in response to my complaint about delayed shifts, told me to check the valve body bolts torque and the pressure regulator myself, and only if that didn't help, come see him again (it turned out to be a loose filter that fell into the pan...). If I ever need a transmission job, I'll know where to go!

Reply to
Happy Traveler