Tire Chains....

Hi all.. F250 4x4 super duty / super cab (Sucide doors)

I have a place where the snow is never plowed.. and i was wondering if 4x4 isnt enough if chains would help out getting through the snow.

I was just looking for some names recomendations... i dont do any harsh driving with the chains on.. just slow for a mile of dirt road...

do i need chains for all 4 wheels... or just the front 2 or the rear 2?

Thans,, Ken

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

How about a plow?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

=============== I think you would be good with just the front with chains

Reply to
Scott M

new truck... dont want to beat it to shi_ yet

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

You don't really need tire chains on a 4WD. If you are going downhill shift it to 4 low and drive slowly. If uphill, shift to 4 high and drive slowly. Either way, you should get in and out of your area fine with 4WD alone. Otherwise, putting the tire chains on the front tires will help a bit. (If you live in Wisconsin, then studded tires and tire chains are illegal. Only legal for non-Wisconsin residents passing through the state.)

~CyberWolf

Reply to
CyberWolf

Reply to
Thomas Moats

I think i do need chains in parts of the winter... this road is a 1 mile road that never gets driven on except by me. It is away from the place i live by 2 hours so i dont have the time to go and plow.. sometimes the road turns to ice and going up it can be very tricky... thats why i think chains will help.. more for the ice then the snow.. snow i dont have a problem with.

Was wondering if there are any easy brands to pop on and pop off just for the 1 mile stretch of road.

I was looking at tirechains.com and they have that diamond one that looks nice and easy.. the rest look like a bear to get on and off... the others seem more for people who want to go up a wall. or plow with them...

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

I have a lot of experience with 4x4s and snow. A year in the AK wilderness at Tatalina AFS near McGrath and eight years in Montana , a great deal of which was in West Yellowstone and Island Park, along with three years in Oregon and those insipid ice storms has left me with a huge volume of experience in these matters. I drove thousands of miles under some of the worst conditions you can imagine. As a result, I've come to the following conclusion: If you are frequently negotiating steep grades (such as mountains and mountain passes) or very deep snow or any kind of sheet ice, chains will be the only sure way to gain traction. Even with the 4x4 locked, an icy mountain road (not just snow packed but ice covered) needs tire chains. From what you describe, you may in fact have some need for them. My advice is to skip the silly diamond chains or the stupid little round so-called "radial" tire chains and get some re-enforce heavy duty chains. Along with that, get some rubber chain tighteners. At a minimum, you will need a set for the front but having a second set for the rear would be a good idea in the event that you ever have to pull a trailer or heavy load through deep snow or up a steep grade. 99% of the time you will never need these as 4x4 will most likely be enough. But, if you ever do get bogged down or into a situation where ice is everywhere, then only chains will do. Shoot, off road in the mud chains are a big help too. The tighteners come in handy by taking up any slack that may come from not being able to get a really snug fit because of conditions. Sometimes a guy just doesn't want to lay down in a patch of melting snow and sometimes it's just so damn cold that the fingers will not work. So, rubber tighteners keep the chains from banging the wheel wells under those conditions. Remember though, chains are for low speed operation. They are not safe at speeds above 30 mph. I think we've all gone well above that fast at one time or another using chains but that doesn't negate the fact that it's not safe. It also should be stated that driving faster than 30 mph with chains is not only unsafe, but it will greatly shorten the life of those chains. Once you've had a set of chains break loose at road speed you will know what I mean. It will literally beat the shit out of your truck and may let loose and strike someone in a rig next to yours. So, if you do need chains, get good ones, use them properly and take them off promptly when the road conditions improve. That's my $.02

Reply to
Reece Talley

thanks for the great info.. any suggestions on which ones to get? Which ones do you use?

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

I usually buy what ever is available at the local Champion or Pep Boys. The key is to look for thick chain links with gripper cleats welded to the links. Expect to pay about $65 or more for a set made for full sized trucks.

Reply to
Reece Talley

I'd put chains on 3 or 5 wheels. That included the steering wheel. If you are digging thru snow with tire chains, you need a good grip on the steering wheel too.

Reply to
me

Is that in case you run over one of the Greenbay Packers ?

Reply to
anon

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

They certainly will. Chains will also help to get you out of mud, sand etc providing you can dig your way around the wheels to fit them. You should remove them though as soon as you get back on the highway. 4x4's may go anywhere but they are not guaranteed to get you back !

Reply to
RustY ©