Tire Pressure and Milage

I deflated all 4 tires by 10 pounds. Did a test run and noticed a drop of 3 mpg, yes I said "three miles per gallon", and it was city driving.
I then took another 10 out, making it 20 lbs less than factory spec, and my MPG dropped another [2], so a total of 5 mpg.
Sum up:I could drive the car all the time with 20 pounds low of air in each tire and only suffer 5 mpg.
Yeah, keep them inflated like they say...sure it saves money.
I guess if proper inflation saves money then over-inflation would EARN MONEY/>?
Spec is 35 psi, so 40 psi would make me money. I might try that. thanks for listening.
"Bob Brown" wrote

Helps spread the wear across the whole tire, instead of the outer 3/4", which would have you replacing tires at least twice as often.
Helps keep the sidewalls from excessive flexing, which would heat the tires more than normal, killing them sooner.
Helps keep the wheels from bashing the ground over speed bumps and potholes, which would have you replacing much more expensive wheels.
Helps the car to handle properly, instead of wallowing and swaying, causing passengers to puke all over the interior, which you'd have to pay to clean.
Money not spent unnecessarily IS money saved.
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:40:15 GMT, "MasterBlaster"

So I buy extra tires? Is that the new"reasoning" behind inflating those tires?
What is the new excuse for wipers?
You've either forgotten your meds or you are nucking futs... You're driving around on 4 tires with about 10 or 15 PSI in them? You drop the pressure 10 PSI and the mileage goes down.... so you drop the pressure another ten hoping for what? Winning a Darwin? Levitation?
Try this on for size... Proper tire inflation is a specific number.... it is the inflation pressure that matches your driving environment (high speeds higher temps = pressure gain)... your load (the idea is to present a flat tread surface to the road) and not being an abject idiot to simple physical properties... and. to some part. the road surface itself.
Having said that, how long was this "test run" and how was fuel mileage calculated....
Am I the only one that recalls Explorers and low tire pressures?
"Bob Brown" <.> wrote in message

i like to use the "chalk line" for proper tire inflation. by using chalk, i have found the proper tire inflation for my diesel is 55 lbs front, and 35 lbs rear. and my crown vic likes 35 front and 30 rear.

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 06:58:44 GMT, "Jim Warman"

Miles/gallons of gas= mpg Done with 150 tests for both cases.

Defective tires. Nothing to do with pressure. Are you a trial lawyer for mega-corporations?
defective tires had nothing to do with it. the problem was with idiot drivers, driving on half flat tires. the tires would overheat and pop, or the idiot drivers would do something stupid like jerk the steering wheel and it would go over.

Amazing, and 99% of the cases involved the SAME type of vehicle and SAME brand/type of Tire? That is just amazing how that worked out.
ALSO:Is it common to need to inflate your tires or even check the pressure on a new or even two year old vehicle?
Are you a corporate lawyer?

In a perfect world, there would be no need to inspect ones tires on a regular basis..... However, most of us live in a world where there may be sharp things on the road or in an area where there may be high levels of ground level ozone or any number of other outside influences on tire life (gee, and I didn't even mention wheel alignment concerns from potholes or other impediments).
The automobile is a machine and should be regarded as a machine.... even to the point where at least those items that affect the safety of the vehicle are concerned. Oddly, tires are one such area. To blindly believe that nothing can go wrong even with something brand new is foolhardy at best.
FWIW, IIRC a large part of the Explorer concern was setting factory inflation pressure at 26 PSI.... A 20% loss in inflation pressure put these tires in a dangerous situation regarding sidewall flex and heat generation.
I don't think that we have many corporate lawyers on this NG... but we do have a lot of folks that don't have their head up their ass....
nope. not a corporate lawyer. but then again, i am not a rectal orifice like you either. just an ordinary Joe on the street. that knows that you should check you air pressure in your tires at least once a week, and fill the tires to the proper pressure as needed.
and you know what?? i had an explorer with those tires, and 2 rangers with those tires, and know a lot of others that had explorers and rangers with those tires, and we never had any problems with them, cause we kept the tire pressure set.
"Bob Brown" <.> wrote in message

Wait a little longer...

And we are waiting for?????
Sanity will have us inspect our machines (yes, your car is a machine) for defects on a regular basis... In case you haven't noticed - shit happens....
We have the choice of looking for incipient concerns or waiting for the tow truck (or ambulance)....
New is simply a term for "previously unused".
"Bob Brown" <.> wrote in message

ya know Jim, i think mr brown has replaced hurc as the new newsgroup troll. no one can be that stupid and pigheaded, but he sure is trying