Tire Pressure Reading is Wrong?

Is it possible that an aged and/or damaged tire valve will give a reading that's much higher than the actual pressure? My 97 Escort has a tire that reads at 45 psi when the tire is clearly underinflated
(bordering on flat). The reading doesn't really go up as I inflate to what looks right either.
Thanks for any help, Tim.
On 15 May 2007 13:25:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Not certain why you would suspect the valve rather than the guage.
Try a different pressure guage.
Cheers, Puddin'
"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller
On 15 May 2007 13:25:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Have you tried another gauge? I can see where a bad Schrader valve might give a false lower reading. At any rate, they're very cheap and easy to replace.

Thanks for the feedback. I've tried 2 different pressure gauges...therein lies my confusion. They both showed the same (and accurate) readings on the 3 other tires. I guess I'll trust my eyes until I replace that tire later this year.