Tire Tread Noise?

I had PS860's on the car and had good use out of them. Did not notice any tread noise. This time I put PS850's on the front and they sing like snow tires. Will need to replace back tires also, so I'll move the 850's to the rear and put something with less tread noise on the front.

My question is -- where would I find a tire noise rating?

Looking at the treads on each, does it look like the 850's would be noisier? I don't want to put 860's on and find out they are just as noisy. Primewell PS830/850 $55 Specs:

Tread:
/PS830850.png

Primewell PS860 $65 Specs:

Tread:
/PS860.png

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Tire rack is good source for information on tires.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Tires are one of those products where you will have to trade off one aspect for another. The best tires are those that strike a delicate balance between noise, tread life, handling, braking, wet traction, and cost.

Since I drive Toyotas and Lexus, low noise is a high priority for me. Michelins have always been decent but pricey. General, Goodyear, Firestone, and several other tires have hit my shit list over the years. My good list is Michelin, Cooper, Bridgestone (meh) and most recently Continental.

My 2004 Toyota Avalon needed new tires because a belt broke on one of the tires and the rest of them were dry rotting. I did a lot of research and ended up buying Continental TrueContact tires from the online store Tire Rack. They are the #1 rated tires by both the customer reviews and testers. I ordered them on Wednesday and they arrived to my local garage on Thursday. The cost of the tires, shipping, and installation was less than the Michelins at Costco which were my other choice. Costco wouldn't give me an appointment till three weeks later so I didn't bother with them anymore.

The tires got installed yesterday so I don't have enough miles on them to give a decent report, but they are quiet, track true, and seem responsive. An Avalon is not a great handling car, but if you want quiet you can't get much better than that.

Check out Tire Rack for the test analysis and reviews. At least you'll get a better idea of what's available evenif you don't buy from them.

Reply to
badgolferman

I just installed my Nokian Hakkapeliita R2 SUV tires on my Ranger. They are every bit as quiet as my Michelin Lattitude TTX summer tires and are rated as one of, if not THE best non studded winter performance tires.

They are not cheap, but the best seldom is.

Reply to
clare

I was stuck this time with a leak in the sidewall and had to git 'er done without the usual shopping around. I've had good luck with Firestone's store brand - always 40K miles plus so far - so I stuck with it.

Interesting.... my ex-usual Firestone shop changed managers and are not trying to up-sell everything, plus they lost their good mechanics. A few weeks ago I went in for some tires, and they upped the quote by about 25% with unnecessary crap, like warranties no never need. So I canceled the sale and got the same tires at another Firestone shop for the "real" price. I was impressed by the staff at this new shop and went back today and got the other 2 tires replaced.

I also was not confident the alignment at the first shop had been done right, so I asked the new shop to check the alignment and root around for any problems. Cost for that was only an extra $20. The alignment was close to what the original shop said for all except that the toe was way off. I asked if that could have changed in the short time - like if I had hit a pot hole, etc., and he said no, it normally just changes slowly with wear and tear.

I don't know about the toe wear period, but if I find out for sure that the first shop ripped me off, I'll be opening a can of whoop ass.

Too bad we sometimes don't know when someone has done a bad job until it has created a new problem later.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

I was stuck this time with a leak in the sidewall and had to git 'er done without the usual shopping around. I've had good luck with Firestone's store brand - always 40K miles plus so far - so I stuck with it.

** Typo corrected **

Interesting.... my ex-usual Firestone shop changed managers and are _now_ trying to up-sell everything, plus they lost their good mechanics. A few weeks ago I went in for some tires, and they upped the quote by about 25% with unnecessary crap, like warranties no never need. So I canceled the sale and got the same tires at another Firestone shop for the "real" price. I was impressed by the staff at this new shop and went back today and got the other 2 tires replaced.

I also was not confident the alignment at the first shop had been done right, so I asked the new shop to check the alignment and root around for any problems. Cost for that was only an extra $20. The alignment was close to what the original shop said for all except that the toe was way off. I asked if that could have changed in the short time - like if I had hit a pot hole, etc., and he said no, it normally just changes slowly with wear and tear.

I don't know about the toe wear period, but if I find out for sure that the first shop ripped me off, I'll be opening a can of whoop ass.

Too bad we sometimes don't know when someone has done a bad job until it has created a new problem later.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Interesting that you choose Continentals as a "go-to" tire. I bought a 2002 Ford Escape new in 2002, and the Contis that were on it were the absolute worst tires I have ever owned. I couldn't take off from a standing stop without spinning them, and God forbid I tried braking hard on wet pavement. Even with the anti-lock system, I could almost guarantee a small amount of skidding. And the highway noise was totally unbearable. I put up with those tires until my first trip to Disneyworld (~330 miles each way) and could barely hear the radio. Those tires were changed out after only 2500 miles. Good riddance!

But, I bought a 2014 Escape new, and it also came with Contis, and after ~10k miles, they have very good traction and handling, and are acceptably quiet at all speeds and most roads (I don't care what you have on a vehicle, some roads are never going to quiet). Granted, there are probably a lot of improvements in suspension systems in 12 years, but I have to say, Continental seems to have improved their tires considerably, IMHAWO :-)

I haven't had to shop for new tires yet, but when I do, Continental will be a brand I will consider.

Reply to
SC Tom

I'm been paying more attention to what kind of tire treads I see on the cars in front of me. Seems like most have 4-5 solid strips separated by narrow recesses, with narrow indentations in the strips running at 45 degrees. The tires I got are pretty much like that but have wider indents at angles. I definitely can hear the tire noise more than on other tires, but not enough to notice unless I'm going over 45 mph,

3-feet away from a block wall.
Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney