To Buy or Not to Buy Without an Inspection -- SUV

We're considering buying what appears to be a very nice, one-owner Mercury Mountaineer, with supposed 125,000 highway miles. It's 25 miles from home, so it would be virtually impossible for our mechanic to look at it without giving him at least a few days notice and we need a vehicle ASAP. Asking price is $6,000 but my husband wants to offer $5,000. Most other vehicles we saw with similar age and mileage are in the $7,000 to 8,000 range, so he feels even if there is some work needed it could never total up to $8,000 if we can get the car for $5,000. What's the common wisdom about this dilemma? Thanks for any answers.

Sherry

Reply to
PaNjDeFemale

Drive it. If you don't find anything major looking it over and driving it, go ahead and buy it. Your logic sounds good to me on the Mountaineer. Check ALL the power accessories and get a feel for how well the vehicle has been taken care of. Find out about its service history, and check the owners manual for services that are overdue or extremely overdue, especially the transmission.

Reply to
John Alt

It is a good idea to have a good mechanic check things over, but if that isn't possible, take a flashlight and check under the car for leaks and other problems. As the other poster said check the accessories while driving.

John

Reply to
jriegle